Thermostat and housing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Hmmm Thermostat and housing

Helllooo !

Being New ( Still ?! ) you may have to forgive me for the following question... And before you flame me, I have had a quick search on the board and can't find anything about this ..

Has anyone got a procedure written down for changing the thermostst housing on a 2.0 TS 155 ? It seems easy enough to look at... but As with all things Alfa.. nothing can be that easy...

So.. can anyone give me a quick description on how to do it, or point me to a place where it explains how to do it...

I think I may have to get the manual on cd ! ( anyone reccoment the best place to get one .... Anyone here selling upto date ones ??? )

As always.. thanks

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: Thermostat and housing

Its a fairly easy job, no gasket from memory, the pipes may be a bit stuck to stat but patience and they will loosen with a bit of wiggleing,

undo and loosen all pipes

from memory again it may be two 13mm bolts - undo,

pull old stat off, put new one in making sure both faces/seals are very clean,

put new pipes back on and replace the jubilee clips if they are a bit mangled.

lastly refill the lost water with anti-freeze,

start engine and squeeze top radiator hose for a bit to get any air locks out

also check for leaks and keep an eye on the temp,

hope this helps

AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Idea Re: Thermostat and housing

I would always use some silicon sealer between the thermostat housing and the cylinder head. Some hoses are a pain, but patience will pay off. It may be a good opportunity to change the coolant if you don't know when it was last done. A hydrometer only tests the specific gravity for anti freeze strength, not the anti corrosion agents in the anti freeze (these loose thir effectiveness first).

Thanks very much, I sould be in recipt of such item over the weekend, and hopefully I will not be able to poach eggs in my radiator afterwards !!

I will let ya know if I drown in a puddle of antifreeze, and manage to get the old clips off !!

ta muchly

AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

yep really straight forward job , did mine the other week no probs. id advise bit of silicon as well and when the engine is empty blow down the pipes just to make sure there is no old water in there. just be carefull with the plastic bend on the new one as i grabbed my old one while it was hot and it exploded all over me nice think it had just rotted inside out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

housing , thermostat