Damned Fuel Leak - Please help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-04 Thread Starter
Damned Fuel Leak - Please help

Hi All,

I have a 1993 Alfa 155 and recently had some trouble with the inlet pipe to the Injection feed tube leaking fuel. I originally thought it was just the top connection direct to the feed tube, but after fixing this, I found out it was leaking at the bottom where the flexible tube joins to the petrol pipe from the fuel tank. I then fixed this and thought everything was sorted. However today I drove to work, the majority of which is motorway driving, with no trouble at all until the end. Whilst waiting at an island I could smell fuel again and upon arriving at work checked the top fuel line and it was leaking again. I assume there is a build up of fuel pressure but what is supposed to deal with this and how do I fix it.

Sponsored Links
Re: Damned Fuel Leak - Please help

The pressure is dealt with by the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It is situated behind cylinders 1 and 2 underneath the intake manifold. It's a complete bugger to get to BTW
I would recheck the tightness of your connections first though. The car should reach a max pressure of about 3.5bar when booting it and drop to 3bar at idle. If the fuel pressure regulator was sticking at high(er) pressure, the car would overfuel and be very lumpy at tickover. I've already had this stuff with my Silverstone

Failing that, you could check the return fuel line for kinks etc.

Run out of ideas I'm afraid.

Welcome BTW Like so many newbies, the first post is a problem with the car

You have got jubilee clips on all the connections don't you?

You did use FUEL HOSE to repair it with and not just rubber hose

If you have`nt used Proper Fuel Hose then the petrol will attack and swell/split the rubber pipe and start leaking again virtually straight away
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-04 Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Wow the first forum you dont have to wait 3 weeks for an answer In answer to the questions, yes I have jubilee clips on all the end and yes it is proper fuel injection pipe although the bloke where I got it from tried to convince me that standard 50 psi fuel line would do. Jeez where do they get these guys from Anyway it turns out the final leak was the jubilee clip on the small pipe from the pressure regulator to the injector feedbar had worked itself loose again. A quick tightening solved the problem. I am going to have to thread lock it or something. any way guys thanks again
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Cheap hose pipe clips are a scourge!
I paid 5 for a set of 20, and have been regretting it ever since...
Made of zinc as far as I can tell!

Get the proper UK made ones for 1 each...
AO Member
County: Longford

Member car:

Have similar problem if not the same, apart from petrol pipe is there any reinforced pipe to be got anywhere or even braided hosing, my stink of petrol is coming from under the inlet & seems to be ******* out on to the ground
AO Member
County: West Sussex
The cars have all reached a certain age where most of the high pressure prishable hoses should be checked/replaced...the youngest 155 is 12 years old so it's not really a fault, just something we need to be very aware of........and at 1.13/ltr current...we don't want to loose too much of that go juice

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

damned , fuel , leak