Variator Kick-In - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Variator Kick-In

hola ppl,
a friend of mine recently bought a '96 155 ts 16v 2.0 and he offered me to test drive it (i love test-driving other folks rides). the ride was good though the suspension needs some bit of work and the engine was pretty smooth.
but as i press thru the rev range, i noticed there was no kick-in from the variator. after the rev has passed 4500rpm, it seems to flatten out. but at the same time, i felt that the car had enough torque and power. just no feeling of varator kicking-in. he assured me that the previous owner had mentioned that the variator was among the new things being replaced before the car was sold.
so what gives?
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Re: Variator Kick-In

I think if the variator is working properly there shouldn't be a kick from it. It should be a smooth transition. If you're getting a kick that would suggest that it's sticking a bit.

But the variator changes the cam timing at 2800 rpm anyway

Originally Posted by Cream
But the variator changes the cam timing at 2800 rpm anyway
I thought it was even lower than that !!!
For some reason I think 1900rpm with 30% load or more. Dunno where that came from.

The massive increase will be one of the cams out slightly I bet.

Jason77 had this on his car. Then when he did the timing belt he did it properly and lost the mad rush but got more torque lower down I think.

The problem i had marlon is referring to was a cam slightly out of line... gave me a huuuge pull at 4500rpm... but really flat elsewhere. Noffink to do with the variator

to check the variator, just disconnect the electric cable to the solenoid (top of engine, by the fuel rail) and take it for a run. Plug it back and compare the difference.. you should feel a differance between the two if the variator is working ok... the variator will make the drive a lot stronger on the secong half of the rev scale.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

kickin , variator