Cracked brake pads! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
John R
Cracked brake pads!

I had to pull my front drivers side caliper to bits today after I had a loud clunking comming from it when I opperated the brakes.

The pad on the inside had sort of welded itself to the caliper body, I managed to prise it out and on closer examination both pads have got great big cracks in the middles basicly sepparating the pads in two. Also the edges of the pads seemed to be a bit crumbly.

Is this normal? Is it dangerous? should I replace the pads?

The clunking seemed to be due to the inside pad not moving, I have copper greased the mounting points and I had to file a bit of the pad back plate to get it to sit properly and allow some movement.
The brakes are better, now I am just concerned about the pads?

Also what are the symptoms of sticky siezed calipers?
The pins move ok, but when I tried to move the piston in to put the assembly back together it wouldn't move?

Sponsored Links
Re: Cracked brake pads!

the crack is due to one of two things the most common is heat or too much of it probably due to the seized piston, the second is due to poor(cheap) material.
to check a piston get some one to press the brake pedal lightly and then release it you should see the piston move out and then(the important bit) it should move back slightly its only a tiny movement but it should be there, if its seized just pump the brake until the piston pops out then clamp off the pipe so you dont loose any more fluid, then you can clean the piston and the calpier bore with 800 grit wet and dry remember to also clean behind the seal in the caliper bore.
Re: Cracked brake pads!

The crumbling usually is caused by the caliper sticking

You could try (to save stripping the caliper down) easing the boot up around the piston with a small screwdriver and pouring some brake fluid behind it to lubricate the piston and then force the piston back with a big lever or G Clamp Then get someone to pump the pedal out and repeat until the piston is free

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brake , cracked , pads