spending 2500 £ on tuning ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Thumbs Up spending 2500 £ on tuning ?

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, so I think a short introduction to myself would come in quite handy...

I'm a 22 year old male from Sweden who likes cars in general, but preferbly, Italian ones... right now, I'm driving an old CitroŽn, but hopefully my next car will be an Alfa Romeo 155 Q4.. (I had an Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 for a year until I sold it a couple of weeks ago)..

I'm really into this car right now, it has the looks, the chassi, the steering, and the performance...however, when I buy an Q4, I'll try to tune it a bit... (or maybe just not "a bit"..) ... I was thinking on spending quite a lot of money on tuning, let's say about 3 000 euro (20-2 500 £), and I'm wondering what type of engine this will give me.. I'll hand over the car to a company to let them do most of the tuning, but easy mods like a new exhaust and a direct air filter will I take care of myself..
The original engine should have 190 BHP, I've heard that there's a chip taking the engine up to 230-235 BHP, and by adding a new exhaust, a new air filter, and a "race cat" (not sure what you call this in English), it'll give the engine approx. 260 BHP...now, I may be wrong, but these costs doesn't seem very expensive... I'll do all the things exept installing the chip myself...so the cost for that should be around 1200 £ I guess... buying/fitting the chip at a tuning company + some tests will add another 400 £ to the list I guess...(not sure about the costs here, but these are just my calculations)... right..now I've spent about 1600 £ on the tuning part of the car, and I've got 260 BHP...let's say I want to spend another 900 £, is it really worth it, and how much power will it give me ? .. I'm also looking into giving the car new springs and dampers to improve the handling, but that's another story... if the BHP gain for another 900 £ on the tuning part is to small I guess I just take that money and put it elsewhere...

oh, one more things, anyone knows approx. how fast the car could go from 0-60 MPH with a 260 BHP engine ? - I've heard that the original engine can make it in 7.0 seconds (0-100 KMH - 7.0 seconds.. 0 - 96 KMH = 0-60 MPH if I'm not misstaken) .. ?

Any thoughts about all this ?

Any help at all will be highly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Re: spending 2500 £ on tuning ?

Hello plirum and welcome to our little corner of the internet

We have a few Q4 owners here who have modified their cars heavily....I would suggest you do a search of some of the older posts. A new (larger) turbo was one of the main modifications to get a big boost in power.

Hope you stick around

strap a rocket to the roof?
AO Platinum Member
Thumbs Up Re: spending 2500 £ on tuning ?

Ah! How fast do you want to go?

Dude.. do the chassis and brakes first - any money you spend here will be more effective than the same amount spent on the motor.

Also, the easiest place to find speed is in the cockpit. Go on one of those fast driving/racetrack courses - it'll make more difference than another 10bhp.

Spend the rest of your budget on the engine. A big, intercooled turbo, running as much boost that doesn't blow it up, ought to do the job. Then stick some Nitrox on it.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Originally Posted by Ralf S.
Dude.. do the chassis and brakes first - any money you spend here will be more effective than the same amount spent on the motor.
As Ralf says DO the brakes first, my Q4 had virtually nohting left after one lap of the Nurburbring, the fade was incredible, even if its just a higher spec pad and disc in the standard calipers it will be worth it.

As for the spare £900, maybe a set of performance cams/higher pressure fuel pump, bigger or second intercooler(one that is made completely out of metal and not have plastic sides).

Let us know what you decide.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

2500 , spending , tuning