155 v6 coilpack Vs 164 individual plug coils - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-06-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
155 v6 coilpack Vs 164 individual plug coils

When people are talking about a 164 3l 24valve transplant, some people are saying just use the old ecu and maybe remap the chip.

What would using the old V6 coilpack instead of the 6 individual coils do. Why did alfa go to this expense and weight if the old ign was pretty good. Was it just to reduce the likelyhood of damp conditions causing missfire, by reducing the ammount of HT parts thet are in the open.

There can't be any ign timing advantages can there? Hotter spark? As far as i am aware the 2.5 V6 ign is capable of all the same ign mapping. Afterall the 164 may have 6 coils, but it still only has two ign switching modules, so it can still only fire three cylinders at a time with 'wasted spark'

The best quote I ever saw after a review of the 164 QV, was "From now on I am only going to buy cars powered by Alfa V6's"

Mmmmmm The noise, the noise...................
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Re: 155 v6 coilpack Vs 164 individual plug coils

Hi Dom,

I didn't appreciate the 24 valve motor only had the two drivers. Certainly makes having coil-per-cylinder seem a bit of a waste in that situation. I can understand why CPS is good if you are driving and monitoring each one, but group firing like that seems pointless. Suppose CPS was the next big thing and they decided to start preparing for it in the castings perhaps?? Does anyone know if the newer 24 valve motors have individual drivers for each coil? That would make sense.

Isn't the 155 coil a triple 2-pole btw??
Re: 155 v6 coilpack Vs 164 individual plug coils

yep all the 24v have one coil per cylinder...as do most modern(last 5 years) cars.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , 164 , coilpack , coils , individual , plug