rolling road - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
rolling road

sluggish 155 gets sorted out.the cars recent run on the rollers found several things amiss.where do i start.when hooked up to the computer it showed up an erg valve fault the solenoid which works the valve appears to be the culprit.dont know what this valve does,can any one help?then a compression test 185 per cylinder all fine there,but on removal of the plugs which were knackered (good diagnosis guys) one was actually cracked in several places which in turn was shorting against the head and has totally chewed up the ht cap on that cylinder.thirdly when the plugs were being replaced the guy noticed that the two ht leads for number two and three cylinder were the wrong way round this is the two leads right in the middle of the head,the coils were the right way round it was the piggy back style leads which were wrong.and lastly the throttle cable was so slack it was not getting the full travel.on the rolling road it produced 144 bhp with the old plugs in ,which the guy reckoned if replaced the figure will be a bit nearer to 150 (wonder how much bhp before).plugs were replaced yesterday car now pulls like a happy owner looking for the piggy back ht lead which goes from number one cylinder to four its the longest lead i believe.thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Re: rolling road

EGR exhaust gas recurculation.. a right pain on some fiats brings on the injector warning light on if faulty.
Re: rolling road

the guy that did the car asked if the warning light comes on but it never you know what effect it will have if the valve is not working?
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Wave Re: rolling road

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I believe that an easy tweek is to disconnect this valve so that exhaust gas will not enter the inlet side on closed throttle. This valve is purely to allow the engine to burn cleaner under certain conditions. I have not tried to diisconnect the EGR valve on a Alfa engine yet, so I can't verify the results, but I'm told it will improve engine responsiveness (likely) and increase power (unlikely I think).

I think that the valve may have been sticking open on your car.
Which rolling road did you visit and how much?

One last thing- any engine will show more with new spark plugs. Typically 5-10 BHP. This will only last for a few minutes though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Drive sideways- life's too short not to

Slip-sliding my way through winter. On four wheels and two.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

road , rolling