Re: How to fit a Bonrath single wiperarm kit
Again, clean up the mess as per the other chassis mod and finish off with some nice red paint. To help me adjust the mechanism in place, I decided to slot out the lowest hole in the bracket attached to the spline so as to give me a degree of tolerance with regards to securing the thing in place; I did this with a round file (Pic 6).
Ok, now that the mechanism will sit in place and you will be able to tighten it down it is time to think about fitting the motor to it. I would recommend that you use an angle grinder with an abrasive wheel to get rid of all of the sharp edges on the part as these will scratch your car to pieces when you will have to put the thing in place with the motor attached to it. As I was at it, I rubbed mine down with P1200 and sprayed it black with Hammerite as I did not like the idea of having a shiny silver mechanism visible through the grate of the plastic panel. You don't need to as it is made of aluminium but it does add that factory equipment feel to it. Do give the surfaces a good key as preparation is 90% of the result since paint will not stick to it and will peel at the first sign of a scrape with the car (Pic 6).
You now have to hacksaw off 2mm from the spline on the motor to avoid it from scraping against the new arm when it rotates as there are clearance issues. Another place where you will have problems with clearance is the arm and the black plastic cover of the motor at its furthest edge from the spline. I cut the edge off away with the hacksaw at a 45deg angle and taped it up inside and out with black electrical tape. Use electrical tape to secure the plastic cover tightly to the motor next to the edge where you removed the excess material as this will facilitate installation later on.
You will not be able to fit the mechanism onto the car with the wiper motor in place so I suggest you place the motor loosely in its intended position in the slot in car support bracket and then lower the mechanism over it. Loosely feed the screws into the holes in the motor bracket and wiggle away until you can secure the motor to it. Place all your rubber isolators in place and work your way around securing the mechanism paying attention to where the spline for the wiper-arm ends up as you need to ensure that this will fit through the hole in the plastic cover once this is secured to the base of the windscreen (you've been warned!!!). (Pic 7)
If you have a little bit of sticky foam, place this on the tubular part of the wiper mechanism close to where this will run past the bracket you hacked at on the car as this will no doubt rub during the installation.
Ok, for the adjustment.. the bracket on the arm of the mechanism to be connected to the spline on the motor needs to be pointing vertically downwards meanwhile the wiperarm needs to be pointing vertically upwards. Secure both the bracket onto the motor and the wiperarm onto the spline; switch on the wiper motor and let it perform a sweep or two. Carefully loosen the bracket on the motor and adjust it's position to the location you desire.
If you would like to get the wiper to park skewed onto the passenger side like I have, this will take a lot more work as the arm sits over the nut to tighten the bracket at this angle so it is impossible to tighten it in this position! What I did was to loosen the bracket, remove the nut, adjust the wiper in the skewed position, mark the bracket and the spline up with a screwdriver so I would know where to mate these together. I then removed the bracket from the spline, switched on the ignition, turned on the wiper and cut the ignition half way through its sweep. You will now be able to fit the bracket to the spline in the position you marked previously and tighten it up with the nut which you could not do before. Run the wiper a few time to get it to adjust and check how this sits; you might need a few tries at this as it is a bugger to get right. (Pic 8)
With hindsight, I think that the kit is a lot of money for the work involved; it took me about three weekends full time to achieve the finish I was after (I am a perfectionist!!!). This kit is definetly not for the faint hearted and as I said before you will need quite a lot of kit to carry out the mods. If I had to do it all over again I would try to remove the original motor mounting bracket from the tube and weld it onto the Bonrath tube instead to provide a better mounting as this is the main problem with fit. I did try to swap just the spline over to the original wiper kit but the new one is oversize and thus is no good.