Arrgh!!! brown trousers!!!
Well i came sooo close to crapping me pants yesterday.
I got in me car - started her up... then smelled eleccy burning.
I looked down to see some smoke whisps coming from the fuse box area.
Turned off the engine and the whisps kept on coming and got worse!
I've never in my life got out me car, unlocked me garage got a wee spanner and disconnected my battery sooo quick before!
Yup I shat meself thinking me car was gonne turn into an electrical firebomb.
I found out what's happened and i'm in the process of trying to fix.
I had to take off the access panel to the auxilliary fuse area, then moving as much of the stuff away and lowering the fuse tray so i can see what happened.
Basically part of the wiring loom that ges to the fusebox sits against the top panel of the body shell that the dash bolt to. This then runs down the front door pillar.
Where the wiring loom 'turns' from horizontal to vertical right in the corner, the wiring loom had chafed on the bodyshell and had cut through a cable.
Where the cable had cut through this is where some cabling had fused itself together and and fried a cable all of the way down to the fuse box and took out a fuse.
It must have been the car door shutting that final time or the engine shoogling the car into life that did the final deed.
Thank fook it was at home and not in the middle of nowhere
Dunno what would have happened and how far it would have gone if i hadn't of disconnected me battery so quick
So i'm gona rip the dash out tonight and replace the associated wiring.
Any special tips for taking the dash out? or is it just a case of taking out all the screws I can find and viola! That's my plan so far.
Cheers guys and beware!