Re: Windscreen washer bottle leak
Cheers Daiblack but I've found a Bosch service agent locally and he got hold of a pump in 24hrs for £38.37. Not too bad when considering what Alfa was asking for!
Nordic, I went out and bought a new one as I didn't hear from you for a few days after I sent you an email.
This weekend I shall put the washer bottle back in the car along with the wipers as I am currently running around without them! I must say that - for once - the weather has been quite accomodating (I just hope that it will hold at least until Saturday!!!).
I got the Bonrath single wiper conversion as my wipers were pretty rubbish (my car for some reason had items similar to that of 156s; they always lifted over 60 mile/h rendering it impossible to see where I was going!). Trouble is that - even if it was designed for LHD cars it took a lot of fettling to get it to fit! I had to cut off two parts of the mechanism, grind down a few sharp edges, slot out a hole, drill another hole elsewhere, bend a bracket a little more and in the end I also resprayed it just to make sure it didn't rust. Like the true perfectionist that I am I have given the mechanism 6 coats of Hammerite!!! On the car I had to cut out a bracket and drill another hole, needless to say that I de-burred the edges and subsequently smoothed the areas with P1500 wet&dry; I then treated the areas that were showing bare metal with rust inhibiting primer and sprayed them back to red so no one could tell they were ever modified!!! I will have to put up a few pics when I get the mechanism in the car. By the way, as I was at it I cleaned out the wiper motor and my oh my was it full of grease everywhere. I highly recommend cleaning this out at least once a year to prevent that horrible judder.
So, if anyone is interested in the single wiperarm mechanism from Bonrath, I would not recommend it if you don't have any heavy equipment as this will come in very handy when you need to fettle it to suit your car. It is kind of handy that I work for a car company since I managed to scrounge a load of fasteners, spacers, nut & bolts and rubber isolators to really finish the job off in style!
As I was at it, I've replaced the washer lines and the Y-piece. To reduce the load in the lines I've introduced another one-way valve half way between the Y-piece and the bottle; I was lucky enough to get this additional valve from the same makers as the other so it looks ever so genuine!!!