heavy power steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
carl ferris
Help heavy power steering

Hello every one. Can you help me? Car had powerlow fitted last friday. Since then ,the power steering feels heavier. I can,t think it has anything to do with the exhaust being fitted.
The power steering fluid is correct level, and the tyres have correct pressures in.
1. Could it be old fluid causing it?
2. Would knackered wishbones cause symptoms ?
3. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thankyou

By the way, New stuff going on Carls car next month "god willing"

4 standard shocks, Eibach springs, wishbones (if needed)
Squadra chip (rolling road before & after)
Do you think 180bhp is achievable or not?
2.0 16V
Sponsored Links
Re: heavy power steering

Are you sure the drive belt is powering the pas pump, and that none of the pipes are split. My 33 pas rack started to leak at the rack seals and within few days would loose all the fluid.

Your fluid should be nice red colour, but I`ve never seen fluid get dirty like engine oil, although Im prob wrong.

My PAS fluid is like engine oil , needs a change really, but my steering is still fine.
You'll not get 180bhp with just a Squadra and Zorst Carl. I'd say about 165bhp if the rollers are accurate. Most interesting will be the increase you get with the chip.

Ps carl, you forgotten air filter of some sort on that list
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

I too have heavy power steering at the moment. I thought it may be because my rack has a worn bearing (which it definately has) but then read another post here which made me thing it was the belt driving the pump (because i am getting erratic overheating where the temp gets a little too high then jumps down again - although I originally thought this was the thernostat!).

Its confusing.

Thing is, my lovely red power steering fluid has gone a muddy brown colour. Whats that all about?
Nordic Blue

At the end of the day it costs next to nothing to change the fluid so give it a go it can't get worse.
I think it goes a muddy colour when it is old and the minerals are not in the best of shape.
Try lock to lock and ensure that the fluid does not drop whist doing this as you may have an air lock.

My servo fluid looks also like heavy used engine oil , level is normal though , Icheck it out each 2 months or so.
Does the servo fluid has to be changed like brake fluid , were are the nipples for doing this and what is the right procedure?
carl ferris

Guys, Thankyou for all the replies. The answer is in there somewhere.
R711 AUA is going in for inspection soon. The fluid is going to be changed ist. Oh yeah, Leebex. I forgot to include K&N panel filter on my last post. Have not pinched flexi pipe from work yet for cold air feed. I am expecting to feel some difference Marlon . I swear my SRI nova gained at least 8-10bhp with cold air feed.(and that is without parrafin cleaner)

From the deep southwest, in tractor land
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA
County: Gauteng

Hi Carl

I've done mostof the mods you did, with the cold air feed. I gained 8 Kw ( dunno the exact BHP figure for that) with the flexi-pipe jobbie.
I also have a modified chip, freeflow zorst and a BNC filter. UP to 90 Kw on the wheels. Keep in mind I live in Johannesburg, 3500 feet above sea level. Basically I've managed to reverse the altitude factor only, but the car goes like hell when I'm down at the coast. all in all I gianed 28 Kw through the various mods. (1 Kw = 1.334 BHP)

My babies
2011 GT 3.2 Centenario, 1972 Bertone GT, 1983 Sud Giardinetta, 1984 AlfaSud Hatch
Gone but never forgotten ..Giulietta QV, MiTo, 1968 Giulia Super, 159 2.4 JTDm
156 2.5 V6,159 1.9JTS, '76 Spider, 156 V6 SW, 147, 155
'77 GTV, 33, Lots of Suds & Sprints

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

heavy , power , steering