155 exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 22-12-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

my wife to drink

155 exhaust

I need to replace the exhaust system on my 2.0 TS (16V) .
Having searched the archive here i've come up with a few bits and drabs on quality ( or lack of it ) but little on performance issues .

My initial gut re-action was to "de-cat" the system eek! , but it seems most people keep the cat and maybe lose the centre box instead.

Any of the sages here want to attempt a definitive "way to go" statement for replacing my original equipment 155 system ????
Sponsored Links
Get rid of the centerbox. More sound . Keep the cat or replace it by a racing-cat, Works great. Cat will take about 7 to 9 hp, racing cat about 2?? correct me if i am wrong here. You will gain allot of Hp and it will produce a great sound.
Craig M
My brother replaced the centre and backbox of his 2.0 16v with the Raggazone replacement without silencer and a Group N straight-through backbox. Sounds fantastic but saying it's very loud doesn't do it justice. Both came from the AlfaOwner website. Quality is OK but I think it's fair to say that the delivery time sucked.

I ordered a Prowler backbox from a supplier in Ireland. I can't remember their name but other people from this site have ordered through them. I bought a stainless steel manifold (looks like a Supersprint rip off) for a 156 (it was too much of a bargain to turn down) and I'm going to have it modified to fit my own 155. Think they still might have some stock.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Iv got ansa rear two boxes on mine(off ebay for 100), not much change in sound or performance, but the tailpipes look nice but iv too got plans to de-cat!
Nordic Blue
Might be able to help you again as this K reg if it is a K reg has a performance system on it.
I'll let you know.....
AO Member
Lave the cat as you will have to refit it every year at mot time. Buy a "sebring" backbox for 230 pounds which is stainless so will never have to be replaced again, bearing in mind that a pattern rusty steel one costs 110 pounds! Forget about the middle two boxes completely, sebring do a long stainless pipe for 40 quid that is just straight through. So all you end up with is the cat and a backbox on your system.

I was worried that my v6 might be a bit too loud for comfort especially on long journeys, but on tick over it sounds like a superbike, and cruising around normally it is smooth and unobtrousive, not too loud at all, but when you give it the beans...oh the beautiful noise!!

Power has improved, drivability has remained unchanged, as has mpg and smoothness. And occasionally on a slowing downchange you get the slightest backfire rumble...sounds good too.

The best quote I ever saw after a review of the 164 QV, was "From now on I am only going to buy cars powered by Alfa V6's"

Mmmmmm The noise, the noise...................
I have a stainless decat and a stainless 2 box system, all from Powerflow on my car. I found the car is more "drivable" at low revs which is handy for tootling about town. At tickover the car has a very deep rumble which isn't obtrusive when cruising, and the "Alfa" rasp is amazing when rattling the cars brains out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , exhaust