Heater windscreen vent - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tim King
Heater windscreen vent

Anybody know how easy / difficult it is to fix the heater vent controls that direct air up to the windscreen? My 1993 V6 with climate control will blow warm air everywhere apart from up to the windscreen.
I used to have a 164 which used stepper motors to drive the vent flaps and it was a nightmare to get to the things when they went wrong (which they inevitably did), does the 155 use the same steppers and are they just as inaccessible?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

Does your car have climate control, or the standard manual heater controls? Mine has the manual controls, and to get the hot air on to the windscreen, you have to turn the knob which directs the air all the way to the left. The icon on the control isn't for the windscreen (i think it's the one that's supposed to blow into the footwells!). The logo's arew mixed up. Try that and see if it's any better.

If you have climate control, I have no idea, sorry!
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Im pretty sure they dont use the same step motors, my dad used to get a few sets of the gears that wore out in the 164 step motors remade in metal and sell them to AROC members through the mag, but iv never heard of having the same problem on a 155, if uv got buttons to control it, when you press them listen carefully to see if its trying to do anything at all.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Hi Tim,

I don't think they are the same units as used in the 164 but they are certainly stepper motor actuators. They aren't quite as bad to get at as the 164 though thank heavens. Just keep removing bits of plastic around the glovebox/console sides until you can see them! From memory, the worst one to get at is not a stepper, it's a simple motor/gearbox that's used to open/close the fresh air flap. It's way over on the left side of the car wedged between the airbox and the sound insulation on the inner wing. It broke on my car so I had to pull it out and jam the flap open

Good luck.....
My 155 seems to provide the best airflow to the front screen when the control knob is turned toward footwell only.
The side vents dont produce air except in the 'pointing to head' position.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

heater , vent , windscreen