Broken differential? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Broken differential?

I have a problem on my 94 Silverstone which i believe to be a broken diff.
The problem started with a little intermittent clunk when pulling away from junctions, i couldn't reproduce the problem at will so couldn't diagnose it. Travelling home the other day and the car started 'kangarooing' on bends and when pulling away with the wheels turned with a massive clunk everytime it did so, but was smooth when accelerating in a straight line or cruising round corners with no drive (clutch in).
Took it to a garage (Southern Alfa), up on a ramp. With the car in gear we can get the passenger side wheel to spin freely but merely touching the drivers wheel or drive shaft causes it to 'catch' again. Moving the wheel backwards and forwards frees it up again. There's no apparant play in the drive shafts which makes me think it's the diff that's broken. And i know bugger all about diffs other than they have limited slip to allow the wheels to move at different speeds.
The diff seems to be part of the gearbox so i'm assuming i have to replace the whole gerabox, and is different to any that were at the garage, and the gearbox seems to have different linkages to the 2 litre.

So, does anyone know anything to say this is anything other than a broken diff?
And does anyone know if the diff is integral to the gearbox or whether it is a separate unit within the same housing?
Thanks in advance even if you just read this far
Sponsored Links
well it could be the diff im supprised that the garage didnt know what was wrong..i would first say strip out the CV joints and make sure there not busted up inside.
you can buy just a diff on its own without any problems.
Ta Jimybob, i'll have a look down that route. I get the feeling the car will be up for parts soon, i'm completely reliant on garages and have a limited budget that may go on another car instead. frown

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

broken , differential