Changing the variator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Changing the variator

How did those of you who have changed variators get the thing out. It is suppposed to be a special tool and I know a DIY tool can be made but is it possible without?

Sponsored Links
It'll very tight in the shaft.

A mate made up a tool by sitting bolts in the screw holes and wedling them onto a huge nut, turn the nut to unwind it... very stiff tho.

I doubt you'll be easily able to take it off without the tool.

Another mate just welded a length of bar to the old variator (at a right angle) and unwound it with that... not as if yer gonna use it again huh?

You'll need to take the cam out and clamp it in a vice to get enuff grip for unwinding it.

good luck

use a vice to hold the cam and a set of big stilsons on the old variator. Think this is wot JB does
Nordic Blue
Jack that is my method aswell but i put 2 peices of wood either side of the cam in the vice so i don't knacker it up and then use stilsons and brute force (smells nice) and unwind the variator from the cam.
Just ensure you put on thread lock when you put it back on !!!

P.s don't forget those cam locks as it is hard todo without
AO Member
Me too, only tools I needed were a large stilsons, a secure vice and brute force. eek!
I always fill the variator up with oil before refitting it to the cam, dosnt rattle on start up!! wink
i viced the camshaft on the the closest cams to the variator, using a sheet of brass to protect the cam, machined 2 pieces of steel rod to fit tight in the largest holes in the variator and tried to force with a bar, but too heated the variator with the gas and it went.and my hand went red when i decided it must've cooled down enough to pick up 5 mins later!doh!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

changing , variator