Ignition coil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Ignition coil

Hi folks,i have a problem with the ignition coil on a Toyota mr2 (wifes car!)with the engine running, the sparks are jumping from positive and negative terminals to the centre. I have tried a second coil and this is the same. new leads fitted. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

On older cars this is can due to dampness, cracks or a bad earth for the coil. A you have tried another coil in this case, it may be a bad earth for the engine itself. Try adding a good earth for the engine using a jump lead from a cleaned up stud on some engine metalwork somewhere to the battery earth point.
Thats a nice simple test and costs nothing.
After that it gets worse as the problem is probably at or after the spark distribution point (I don`t know if MR2s have mechanical or electronic distribution). Try removing the end of the main HT lead to to*the distribution point and letting it arc to a safe place on the main engine block - leave a small 2mm gap from exposed metal to metal. Hold or lodge the cable with rubber handled pliers or you will get a nasty shock! Don`t let the engine turn over for too long as this isn`t the best thing for a coils health. If all is well you should get a good spark with no arcing on the coil as the engine is turned over.
If you have a mechanical distributer, check the points are not broken open.
After that I`ll leave you to the experts!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

coil , ignition