Whine and wandering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
John R
Whine and wandering

Hi guys,
Over the last few monthe the old girl has developed a whine from the timing/belt end of the engine, it increases with revs and is noticable from the drivers seat on start-up but goes away as the engine noise muffles it out at higher revs.
Its very simmilar to a friends 156 t-spark whine, but mine is much more noticable and is really beguining to bug me!
Also the car feels really unstable on rough/b-roads, it gets thrown/unsettled by lumps, bumps, repairs manhole covers etc even the white line, I am running standard wheels with 205/50/15 tyres.
If you take your hands off the wheel the car follows a straight course but the steering wheel is all over the place, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
The whining noise is probably the auxiliary drive belt tensioner, I took mine off and drizzled some gearbox oil into it about a month ago and it's been ok so far
AO Member

Member car:

155 1.8 16V

I had a similar whine develop on mine, it turned out to be the timing belt tensioner!! Stick the handle of a big screwdriver in your ear and touch the other end on various parts of the engine and brackets. You should easily be able to hear if it's coming from one of the externally mounted bearings or something under the timing cover.

As for the handling, how old are your shocks, my backside was bumping around all over the place but new shocks sorted it totally.

My car is the same, sort of squirms when you are on rough road surfaces. I think probably both the shocks and wishbone bushes need replacing on mine. On Marlon's suggestion I tried lowering the tyre pressures to 28-F 26-R and that helped quite a lot.
John R
Thanks I will try the suggestions.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

wandering , whine