Cheap as chips!? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cheap as chips!?

Anybody bought one of those go faster chips on ebay and had a noticeable increase in performance?
There are about three different people selling these chips, plus two selling modules. Prices range from 5 - 15 each.
When you look at the cost of bona-fide chip 150 - 195 + vodka and tonic they look pretty cheep.
So cheap in fact that you can satisfy your curiosity and if it does not work chuck it out and put your old one back in. If things should go wrong, at least it's not like having your camshaft belt breaking!! What can go wrong??
Any recommendations?
Also is it right, once you have a chip fitted, you HAVE to use super unleaded?

Cheers chaps
Sponsored Links
These were discussed on here a while ago and the answer was ..............

Well i think you answered it all ready

"Prices range from 5 - 15 each.
When you look at the cost of bona-fide chip 150 - 195 + vodka and tonic they look pretty cheep."

The verdict was they are pretty cheap and not worth bothering with as the benefits from them is the amount of money in the guy selling them`s bank account eek!

You get what you pay for if they were so good why is`nt every car supplier selling them
Some of these "performance modifications" are only a 50p resistor. The only one thats caught my eye recently is a "TT" chip. Its going for pennies but may be ok.

However, I'm not willing to risk my lovely V6 on an unknown chip.....if you get one let me know how you go on wink

R Finnis
I have a feeling that the cheapie mod "chips" are simply a resistor that you connect across (or instead of) the engine's temperature sender (coolant or air intake, I'm not sure). It basically makes the mixture a bit richer, as the ECU thinks the air/engine is cooler.

Struck me as a bit of a bodge.
AO Member

Member car:

155 1.8 16V

That's what I've heard as well, the 5 jobbies are simply a resistor in the temp sensor wiring to fool the ECU into thinking the engine is cooler than it actually is. This will make it run rich ALL the time with the exception of light throttle cruising and at idle when the Lambda sensor is doing it's thing. Yes, pick up MAY be quicker but long term you're looking at carbon build up in the combustion chambers and a dead cat. So what's that, 200 for a top end de-coke and 150 for the cat? Hardly a bargain if you intend keeping the car for a while.

I wouldn't touch them, but that's just my opinion obviously.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cheap , chips