Front brake pad change. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
R Finnis
Front brake pad change.

My front brake pads need changing. Two questions...

1. Can this be done by me, or does it require special tools etc?

2. Where is best to get the parts from? Any makes to avoid?

I've changed pads on previous cars, but I haven't got (or been able to find) a manual for the 155, so I'm unsure of what the job entails.

Is it reasonably straightforward? Does anyone have figures for minimum disc thickness and torque settings for any bolts?

Oh, car is a '97 2.0 16V TS

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

This is a very easy job - the longest part about it is jacking the car up and taking the wheels off! The pads are in a carrier held on to the caliper by two bolts on the back of the caliper. You'll need a couple of spanners (15 & 17 or 17 & 19mm, can't remember which) - one to hold the sliding sleeve and one to undo the bolt (it'll be clear when you see it!!) Once the two bolts are undone, remove the old pads, push the piston back in to the caliper (use a g-clamp), pop the new pads back in (with a bit of copper grease on the back to stop 'em squealing) and bolt everything back together. Should be no more than 10 mins a side, plus wheel removal / refitting. The pads have integral springs, so there's not even any fannying about with them.

Last time I changed mine, I used whatever the local motor factors sold me (Apec, I think), and they work fine. About 20 a set.

Have fun!

There's always one - and it's usually me!
Dead easy on the front as Rich sez, the rears (when you get round to them!) need the piston screwing in whilst pressure is applied.

When you need to do the rears have a search on here, its a common topic

With brakes, I usually whip out the sliding pins and make sure they are clean and put fresh grease in there just to be on the safe side wink

R Finnis

It sounds exactly like the arrangement on the old car.

I'll check the rears at the same time.
the rears are slightly more complex due to the handbrake but here is a thread on here telling you how to do it. You have to apply pressure and screw the cylinders back into the caliper (not sure which way cannot remember)
R Finnis
Sorry to awaken an old topic... What's a good pad to use? Alfa want 96 for standard pads (wouldn't mind that fitted, but it's part only eek! ) (Only asked as I was there anyway). Poweralfa have std pads for 30. Anywhere else recommended? Ferodo DS seem to be rated for Alfas. Are they OK, or do they give you a few scares until they are warm?

I'd be happy with standard, but if I'm changing them anyway I'd consider uprated pads. I drive reasonably sedately (At least that's what I tell myself), and I don't really want squeals everytime I brake... Think I've just talked myself into standard pads.

Rob have you had a look in AO shop think Ian was doing front pads for about 35 and also has some fast road pads etc listed wink

Look here

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brake , change , front , pad