Must I buy it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Must I buy it?

Hi all, first of all a few introductory words my name is Joaquín and I'm from Spain. I've registered in here because I need some advice about a car that has been offered to me.

And now the question:

I friend of a friend has offered me the chance to buy a eight years old, 150.000 km (100k miles), Alfa 155 1.6 Twin spark. Esentially everything is fine, outside and inside except for a broken exhaust (5000 km ago (3000 miles aprox.)) and a door that can't be opened from outside.

The offer is 1000 Euros for the car, and I think I'll need about 400 Euros to put a new exhaust pipe and a general revision and about 4 hours of work to fit the door, and 10-15 more hours in thorough cleaning and other unexpected things.

Would you buy the car??

Specially considering that...

I drive about 30-40 thousand kilometers per year and I want to use it for about 2 years.

The fact is that I've experienced very good results with the car that I'm now owning a 14 years old 100.000, Alfa Sprint 1.7 boxer. But I think she is too old now and I'm looking for a good end, maybe keep her in a garage with 3-4 starts each year, or looking for a buyer than can keep her up.

Thank you very much,

Sponsored Links
no, for the mileage you are doing I would get something with a lot less miles on and a bit more relianble.
Sorry Jack but i disagree

BOOT if your gonna be doing 30,000kms a year thats about 20,000 miles then its average mileage nowadays and providing you keep up the servicing then there should`nt be a problem and you`ll get a car that loves to be driven

Btw try haggling the price down a bit more due to the exhaust and the un opening door wink
I suppose it all depends if you are prepared to be let down one morning and how important your journeys are. The car has done 100K miles already and has probably been driven how it loves to be driven all this time. I would not buy it. I bought one new and have been let down. I have said it before I would not buy another new alfa with my own money. I certainly would not by a high mileage one which I was going to use for important regular journeys. I still think they are fun cars to drive but all the better when you have the security of a second car or just a 3 mile trip to work every day.
Thanks both very much for your answers. It's like one of you are the devil in my head and the other one the angel. Buy it!, don't buy it!

Actually, a lot of people in Spain talks bad about Alfa, they said they're unreliable cars, they need a lot of petrol, etc., etc. When I buy my first Alfa, 3 years ago, an old Alfa Sprint 1.7 boxer 1988, with 60.000 km (40.000 miles) I tought I would use it for three or four months (I was OK, I paid for it 800 Euros and no manteinance was needed) but after driving her for more than 40k miles without never ever any problem eek! (ok, only minor electrical problems 14 years are 14 years and a speed indicator that doesn't work (but I' ve never tried to repair it who cares )), I know she has been the best investment of my life and I am so impressed that when this friend offer me the car I started to think about it seriously. Wow, another alfa!!!

(also the petrol consumption is not so high, ok inside city is better not to start the engine but outside: you want to go fast you've to pay for it; but driving 120 km/h (90 mph) it's about 50% more (in money) than a 2.0 HDI Berlingo (that I use for working), so it's far from a high waste)

Now I don't know what to do, I've been told by the actual owner that I could drive the car for a couple weeks in october an I've accepted the offer, I'll check everything and will ask you again if needed.

Again, thank you very much, I'll inform you about the issue

The 1.6 TS is belt driven isn't it ???
Check when the timing belts were last changed.
I have to agree with speedy about the mileage thing. I have done about 26000 miles in 18 months in my car. It is now at 102000. Engine wise, the car seems as good as ever. It has been maintained well from new (1994).
Boot, expect to have to replace things like wishbones and maybe the odd sensor, but the engine should be OK as long as it's been maintained to match the way the car has been driven.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

Hi Boot!

Well, you laready own an Alfa, so you know what to expect. You know that perhaps the parts are a bit more expensive than other makes. If you're happy with that, then go for it! For that kind of money, I don't think it will be any more unreliable than any other car.

I still reckon it's a myth that Alfa's are unreliable... all stemmed from the rusty Suds...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155