Handbrake light.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Handbrake light..

Hi All,

Couple of weeks ago the light to tell you your handbrake is on (Exclamation mark in a circle)started coming on and random times.....doesn't seem to be related to direction, speed, temperature, engine speed or much else just every now and then it comes on and then it goes off .... As I've just moved house I haven't yet unearthed my handbook thus I was hoping someone could tell me what my car is trying to say........ or is it just a loose connection somewhere ??

Sponsored Links
That light has a double function,
it also acts as the low brake fluid
light, so check that asap!.
But could be just a loose connection.
I would go with the low fluid thing...BUT.....unless you have a leak, it'll mean the pads on either the front or rear (maybe both) are worn down. The fluid level drops as the pads wear. If you top it up, when you change the pads you'll have to syphon the fluid out again.
So, if the fluid is low, check your pads front and rear aswell.

it is also the clutch fluid level as well since it is a combined reservoir. If your brakes are new and the level has still dropped you may have a leak on the master or more likely the slave cylinder to the clutch. The slave cylinder is located on top of the gearbox directly beneath the battery. If it is leaking you will need to replace it (very easy job) look for brake fluid on top of the gearbox or coming out of the rubber dust boot
My money usually goes on the front pads when this happens.

I would expect a clutch leak to be more consistant, if its just flickering especially round bends and when you accelerate look at the front pads

tell you what wrinx lets have a gentlemans wager. I go for clutch leak

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

handbrake , light