Silverstone lacking in power... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Silverstone lacking in power...

I have got a 1994 155 1.8 Silverstone which having bought after a 75 TS, I must say, it's not all that well put together. Lots of rattles and annoying noises from various parts of interior trim.
Anyway, to the matter of the engine- I have just put a new Oxygen sensor in the chimney which has brought the mpg back up- the exhaust was very black, and I was getting about a 100 miles less per tank of fuel. However, the engine lacks power more noticeable from cold, but generally sluggish. Can anyone suggest what's likely to be the problem ? I wonder if the ECU linked temperature sender is possibly at fault ?
Another little annoyance is yes, you guessed it- the wipers, is there a 155 in existence without some sort of wiper fault ? This, apart from the usual ones though has developed an interesting one- the wipers work on their own, giving the odd wipe here and there, cum rain or shine. I see the control box has a small chip in it- do these give any problems ?
Any feedback would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Posts: 4,464 James it could be the temp sensor playing up but it could also be your variator eek! Have you read Marlons post on his experiences with his variator on his Silverstone

Re the wipers there was a thread about this a while ago and if i remember rightly it was caused by water getting to the relay ......

Someone else will advise more if i`m wrong

Hope you get it sorted and i`m afraid you just gotta put up with the rattles but who cares about them when your screaming round the roads leaving everything else for dead
originally posted by speed freak:
Hope you get it sorted and i`m afraid you just gotta put up with the rattles but who cares about them when your screaming round the roads leaving everything else for dead
Too true, i don't really give a t*ss about
that kind of thing,especially when i've got
a V6 to listen too.

Hi James, and welcome
Hi James
Rattles !!!! Just turn the stereo up.
It's all part of the cars character, besides without these problems there would be no need for this forum.
ps next will be the wishbones
Hi James, too own a Silverstone and it rattles LOTS
The water temp sensor, which is screwed into the top of the thermostat housing and has a blue plug may be at fault for the poor running when cold.
Also check yer plugs and leads wink

Wipers can work intermittently due to grease/water getting into the wiper motor bits or as SF said the relay. I disconnected the plug from the motor and it looked clean etc. I also replaced the wiper mechanism (with a 2nd hand one) at the same time and my wipers have worked properly ever since. This makes me think that my severely worn mechanism was stopping the wipers from working properly. Maybe 'cos all the links etc were sticking.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

lacking , power , silverstone