Gas pump - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Gas pump

hello all,

when i turn of the engine, there is a humming sound for about 5-10 seconds, it seams to come from the back right part of the car, passanger side. I think it might be the gas pump.

I have not noticed any difficulty in starting or driving the car.

opinions?? is a new gas pump expensive?

Sponsored Links
checked prices for a skinny V6, widebody 2.0 16v, and a 1.8 8v as you don't say which engine you have. Seems they all have the same pump , price is £202 inc vat eek! eek! eek!

personally i would get it checked out first or wait till it gives up the ghost before purchasing a new one, unless you can source a recon part.

you never know it might just be something easy to fix,i'm not sure what it could be though?

Might be worth getting the breather pipes checked if ones starting to block up you could get a noise from it as the pressure drops and it vents itself

Or it could be the fuel pump starting to get noisy but you would notice it when the car was running

Try starting up and crawling under the back and if its the pump you should be able to hear ut humming away to itself
thanks , i`ll check it out.

Its a 2.0 8V..1995 i have.

One of my fuel pipes was split at the point where it goes into the tank. After hard driving and the pressure was equalising, I would get a whine/hum for a few seconds. Can you smell fuel ???
Also, remove the cover (in the boot) just behind the seat. It gives access to the pump etc, see if any fuel is sitting there.

AO Member
I wouldn't worry about this..had a 2L i Renault a few years back and whenever you switched on the ignition I could hear the pump whining as it built pressure. whining stopped when pressure was built. Bought the car as a 19K miler. Drove it to 100K and the pump was fine. Could be something as simple as the pump body touching something metal and conducting the noise.
Agree with the post above, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

gas , pump