Spoiler re-spray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Spoiler re-spray

I mentioned in another post that Tracee has bought a 33. One problem with it was the lovely pink spoiler with peeling laquer - no problem I said, I'll just spray it.

Rubbed it down, primed it and sprayed it (just using aerosol, not a gun), but it come up dead crap. It looks matt and the finish isn't very smooth to the touch. Perhaps I haven't put enough layers on yet? Or do I need some laquer. Any comments?

It looks better than it did though....just!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex

Is the spoiler plastic? If so you will probably need to use plastic primer. Also make sure you spray on a dry warm day.

Make sure you shake the paint tin long enough to mix the paint properly or it comes out "grainy".

it will need very fine sanding between each layer of paint. sand 'till it feels/looks dead smooth. then do it again.

after about 6 layers it should be pritty smooth, let it dry for about a week, then use a rubbing compund like t-cut. smooth as a baby's botty. then polish it (3-4 layers) then wax it (3-4 layers) you should have a fantastic finish by the end of that lot. plenty layer of polish and wax for protection.

to save money i used normal spray paint for the first 3-4 layers, then a colour matched paint for the last couple to make it the right shade. saves on money when yer trying to get it all smooth as fek. - yes i am a cheapskate.

hope this helps.

If you're using halfords rattle cans I'd try a couple of coats of laquer. It does make a difference, as does proper prep of the surfaces. Wet and dry it! Be aware though that laquering the spoiler will change its colour.
Cheers guys. Sounds like I just haven't put enough effort into this yet

I used proper wet'n'dry for the initial rub down taking it right back to the original primer in most areas in order to get the patches of dodgy laquer completely off [cue upper limb disorder]. It is plastic, but I don't think I used specific primer, just red oxide.

I'll go away and do some more layers when it stops raining.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

respray , spoiler