blown indicator fuse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tim Hayes
blown indicator fuse

The fuse for my direction indicators keeps blowing, sometimes intermittent, and other times as soon as the ignition is switched on after I have put a new fuse in.

The hazards work fine so its not a short at the lights end, I suspected the stalk/switch but have just fitted another one and the fuse blew as soon as I turned the key (with the indicator stalk in the middle so the indicators weren't even switched on..). It's the V6.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you got a short on the feed wire to the indicator fuse

As they use the same relay for hazards and indicators but are seperately fused probably a wire rubbed through and shorting intermittantly
on the bodywork

Or its poss the relay is at fault and putting a greater load on the system and its blowing the indicator fuse as this is only a 7.5 and the hazards use a 10 amp for some reason

Just guessing but i hope it helps some how
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

The reason the hazards have a higher fuse rating is that it has 6 bulbs to illuminate, whereas the indicators only light 3 at a time (one side!).

Was the stalk that you replaced with a new one or a used one? Never assume that a replacement part is working! Also, does it still blow with the stalk disconnected? Id guess that there's only one wire from the fuse to the stalk, there must be a short on that somewhere...
Tim Hayes

The replacement stalk was a good one, it came off my other car.

As you say, it must be a short as it blows the fuse with the stalk in the middle.

This morning the fuse blew again followed by plumes of smoke from under the dashboard, I'm hoping that the broken fuse element landed on some insulation or the sponge at the back of the fuse tray and smouldered. The car still starts and runs and the smoke went away. First time the fuse blew it landed on my wifes bare foot, she says it hurt..!

If it smokes tonight, I'm going to push it into the street and let it burn...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

blown , fuse , indicator