DIY time - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
David Lear
DIY time

OK I give up with the local mechanics.

1)Engine is noisy. OK I know variator. but this is a loud ticking. Any ideas?

2) Pulls away slower than my old Skoda.
I am told that one of the injectors is blocked. My mechanic pulled off one of the cables to injecter and pointed out that there was no pop or sucking noise (Sorry I am not a mechanic, no laughing) The other 3 made a pop suck. Any ideas?

3) bad oil leak, The sump plug was overtightened by a local bodger. Can I rethread it?

4)Took of cover (with the alfa romeo on it) the metal plate that the plugs sit in in snapped due to someone rounding of one the bolts and ripping it off. Can I buy a new plate or won't it cause any damage?

5)The filter hanging down by the front drivers wheel is not conected to anything Is it important or just the pollen filter?

Sponsored Links
David Lear
OOPS! its a 1996 1.6 Twin (yes a 1.6)
el gringo
Hi David,

a few comments:
1: If it's a noise just like a noisy tappet (cam follower) that comes and goes as you rev the engine, chances are it's the variator. I've mailed a tech article with photos to this website on replacing the variator and camshaft, so it should be up soon (I hope).
2: if it's a blocked injector, the engine note doesn't change when you pull the plug off the bad injector. If it's okay, revs should drop a little. Dunno about the popping or sucking sound.
3:You can get an oversized sump plug (M20 thread) from the dealer. It's a common problem. Alternatively you can have a Helicoil put in and reuse the old plug. For both options I would take the sump off, to prevent bits of metal swarf ending up in the engine.
4: the plate holds down the coil packs I think. The coil packs have spring loaded contacts on the spark plugs, so you want to make sure the coil packs are secure. Maybe someone can have a look at their parts CD (I want one!) to see if the plate is available separately.
5: no idea! Sorry....
David Lear
I know its not the variator as that needed doing before this noise started. I'm slowly removing covers and digging deeper. At least if I mess it up I will have a good excuse to buy a 2 litre engine. Is it a straight swap? (got me wondering now)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

diy , time