Rain Sensor ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Rain Sensor ?

We had a lot of rain one day and my 2.0 16V decided to activate its secret rain sensor! - meaning it wiped the windscreen now and then with the arm in OFF position !!!! not in a regular pattern but just once in a while.

It was still raining so it wasn't a big problem and the next day it wasn't raining anymore and the phenomenon had disappeared ???

A logical explanation would probably be something with moist/water in the electronics somewhere. But where - I dont realy know where the whiper electronics is located.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Mark T
Hi Hammer,
This sounds like a sticking wiper relay, probably caused by moisture/condenation ingress. The relay is no.1, located in the fusebox under the dashboard.(Right hand side on RHD UK models, may be on the left on yours?)
If you remove it,place it in a dry place for a few hours, all should be well. A couple of shots of WD40 sprayed into may help too. If you find this is the problem, its better if you renew it.

Hope this helps,
Even in the off position there is still an electric potential on the little relay-box attached to the wiper motor.

First make sure that it isn't the relay mentioned by Mark T. The relay in the fuse box is only used for intermediate. Just remove it, and if the problem still exists, you know it not the relay. Of course you can only test this on a rainy day wink

I had the same problem and I fixed it by resoldering some of the joints on the print, cleaning the relay contacts and a used some silicon kit on the relay-box to make it a little more water resistant. Just make sure you leave an opening on the lower site of the box.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Hmm, I've got a similar problem but only when I put my cellphone batterycharger in the 12v cigarette lighter thingy
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Well, the problem has not occured again even though it has been raining. One sunny day i will check the solderings and the relay, though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

rain , sensor