V6 life expectancy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
V6 life expectancy

I'm currently looking at buying a rather tidy late 96 V6 155... My only concern is the 100,000+ it's sporting.... It's got a sound history and has very recently had belts, water pump, discs+pads.... front shockers just over a year ago and generally seems good... I tend to rack up around 15,000 miles a year....if I buy a 100k+ V6 am I setting myself up for some serious expense??..I've owned various fiats and lancias so I am familar with the joys of italian motoring !!..but I'm new to the 155, should I be wary of 100,000 milers.... and if so, where do I find one with any less ?? !!

Screw Flanders
Sponsored Links
Ian Spring
It is impossible to answer your question with any certainty because the life of a car depends not only on how it has been maintained but also on how it has been treated by all the people who have driven it. For instance if it has been revved hard immediately after starting and done lots of short journeys where it doesn't warm up properly and spent a large proportion of its time in heavy traffic (where a large engine does not run efficiently) then the engine may be at the end of its life.

If, however, it has spent most of its time on the motorway, been treated properly and had good quality oil in it then it could be perfectly sound - an Alfa V6 is capable of 150,000 miles or more.

The fact that it has had so many parts replaced recently is a reflection of the fact that certain parts of any car have a limited life expectancy and at 100,000 many parts may be past their best and need replacing, but that does not make this a bad car. But high mileage cars are cheaper for a reason - if you don't want to have to spend money maintaining a car, buy a new one! If this car hasn't had the clutch replaced already then I expect that will need doing within the forseeable future, but this again depends on how it has done those 100,000 miles.

If you are planning on doing 15k a year I would get the car inspected - either professionally or by a knowledgable friend - to minimise the chance of nasty surprises. That also allows a more balanced, unbiased opinion than yours if you have already fallen for the car! If you are still worried about the mileage, keep looking - there are lower mileage cars around.

Whatever 155 you buy - enjoy it!

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 17-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Ian !

I've been looking round for a 155 V6 Wide body in either black or red for quite a while now but every one I find seems to be touching 100k... in itself not a huge problem but not being too familar with them I don't know if 100k is the best that can be expected from the v6 or whether well serviced, cared for one will do double that. I think it's fair to say I've already fallen for this one so, you're right.....I'll arrange a mechanical inspection !!!...

I bought mine with 100,000 miles on it 3 years ago and have put 47,000 miles on it since and so far its not been any trouble touch wood

I always have my pedal to the metal and the rev counter in the RED eek! but it sounds so good i cant help myself

So from my experience i would say theres nothung to worry about as long as its been well maintained mine was ex fleet and had full history

Hope this helps in your decision and if you get one you enjoy driving it as much as the rest of us wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

expectancy , life