I'm going slightly mad............... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
I'm going slightly mad...............

Can anyone shed some light on this for me???

A few months ago I posted about my handbrake not working.........err, about a year ago actually as the MOT is due again!

I've got some second hand calipers and was prepared to fit them today, bought a Gunson self bleed kit and away I went.

Checked the replacement calipers for healthy movement......all ok (cheers Tim wink )

Checked the current calipers once stripped, they had the same amount of movement.

So I released the handbrake all the way, cable moves ok, put the offside caliper back together and it all worked fine!!!

Went for a run and found a good sized hill, hel the car no problem.........AAARRRGGGHHH

Dismantled and greased up the nearside so they now work even better than it did when I first bought the car.

Those who remember the origonal post will know I stripped the brakes before with no result.

Can anyone explain wtf is going on here?

BTW, word of warning!!! The nearside brake pad wasn't flat to the disc due to a little raised lug on the pad back. What are these for? I've made sure it goes inbetween the piston slots now. Perhaps these are pads for another 155 version? The second hand pads from the replacement calipers were the same too.

Anyway, job done, just gotta get used to using the handbrake again

Sponsored Links
Mike Scarf
Sounds like one for JB to answer
WRINX the lug on the pad is supposed to go in the slot on the calipers it stops the piston turning
now its hard to explain but hrer goes

evaeryone adjusts the handbrake on the cable this is the WRONG way to do it
if you take up the travell on the cable you reduce the travel on the arm on the caliper so the handbrake is poor and doesnt hold
the rear calipers auto adjust as the pads wear so when fitting new pads you need to slacken off the cable fully and then wind or screw the piston back in this de-adjust the caliper
Then fit your pads and fit the caliper if its a loose fit you then wind the piston out until its a snug fit over the pads ensuring the disc still spins freely

then take up the slack on the cable but make sure the handbrake arms on the caliper are still on there stops this allows full operation of the mechanism and allows the caliper to self adjust correctly

hope you understand what i mean and sorry for the spelling its been a long day

hope this answers your questions
Looks like I did it right this time then.

The calipers/pads were tight to the disc and I'd slackened the handbrake off to make sure the cable was free in the covering.

No wonder it feels so good now!!!

Better do the twinny too wink

i seem to remember posting the correct way to adjust the calpiers some time ago....speed freak has done it this time ...gold star to you SF.
You probably did JB and I wasn't listening

I did my rear pads and handbrake about a year ago, like has been said, loosened everthing off and wound the pistons back.
After refitting the calipers, I didn't refit the handbrake cable but stood on the brake pedal a few times to push the pistons and pads out. Then refitted the cable(s).
Adjust the cable to be fully on at 4 clicks and has been fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

mad , slightly