Engine hesitation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Engine hesitation

So impressed by the site I thought I had better join it! Just a shame my first post is regarding a problem with my 1994 8V.

Just sent the missus home from Manchester to Oxford and she has been complaining that the car has been playing up.

At a constant 70-80 she has complained that the car jolted suddenly approx 10 - 15 times over the journey. The diagnosis over the phone sounded like a fuel hesistation issue, owing to the fact when she depressed the pedal it seemed to respond and keep going.

Not sure what symptoms a faulty fuel pump would be, anyone with a suggestion as a start point? (Pump, HT leads, relay etc?)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

could be lambda ? or a lead shorting out maybe have you tried seeing if there is a flat spot when revving the engi
ne while in neutral. and welcome somebody with more experiance with 8v engine will be along soon .
change the fuel filter and plugs and see what happens.
I suffered from this a couple of months ago. Diagnosis from this site was moisture in/around plugs or air flow sensor needed cleaning/replacing. Found 2 of plugs had a bit of moisture around tops but I cleaned the air flow sensor aswell. Not had it since
Thanks for the responses, I have started by ordering a set of plugs to fit this weekend.

Can't say for sure till I get at the old ones. If still a problem then I will route back thru HT's to coils - if no joy after that will look at other possibilities!!!

Will post the results back.
AO Member
Air flow meter sticking?

Does it happen during varied driving, or just when cruising?

veeeeery expensive - let's hope it's not
Update on the hesitation problem. Changed the plugs at the weekend, didn't look too bad when I got them out. Car started no probs.

Tried to go out later and the prob was back. Except this time engine turned over - but didn't fire up.

Traced the problem to a couple of relays near the battery which seemed to have come adrift. (presume they feed the distributors ?) When I got it running, it was possible to knock the loom (with relays on) and the engine did the same hesitation. Guess this would account for it doing it intermittently on the road - depending on the car jolting around on the road surface.

Secured wires etc. no sign of it since.

Thanks for the advice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

engine , hesitation