Water in the Driver Footwell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Water in the Driver Footwell

Please don't think of this as a cross-posting - only had one response under General Alfa Discussion so perhaps someone else will think of something through Tech Room instead:

I know there's been a few posts about this problem before with suggestions ranging from the sunroof (the pipes appear to drain fine as I have poured water intothem and seen it reappear underneath), the windscreen (more anon), the pedal box, door rubbers and wiper grommets. Had the car a year including last winter and no leaks but during the summer had bonnet flip - no outward damage to windscreen but the bonnet did bang it (as you can imagine). I have looked at grommets etc and now assume that the volume of water involved can only come from all this persistent rain and washing via the windscreen. Just wanted to check whether there's any new intelligence on such leaks, other instances of bonnet flips, windscreens in general etc and any other nefarious advice from Alfisti out there

1996 2.0 16v - the one with 2 replacement engines!
Sponsored Links
Only thing I can suggest is that you put talcum powder all around the footwell, windscreen, door and sunroof etc, then get a hosepipe and spray everywhere with someone sat inside. Have you checked underneath for damage?

How much water/dampness are you talking about?

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
The foam/sound proofing under the mats is completely sodden though has dried a litte in the last few days (before the rain came back) with good ventilation plus heating. THis stuff looks like it will disintegrate if I try to remove it and in any case appears to go right over the gearbox housing so would be hideous anyway. Its just starting to smell abit though so that may have to happen - yuk.

I haven't run over anything but the same thought was going through my head about undertray damage but there is nothing very obvious.

I wonder if this much water could come through the door seals or run down frame and then through door seals - I guess yes but the seals look fine.

May try the talc trick tomorrow...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

if youve had a bonnet flip i can only suggest the obvious to check for distorsion around
bonnet fixings , i had a good leak but was just due to drain being blocked in centre bulkhead
(leaves) so when i turned corners the build up was running to a grommit at the bulkhead
rear of glovebox which id brought an amp power lead through and not sealed properly but i think youve covered this have you looked behind the screen trim ie the rubber strip around screen as mine pulls off to reveal bonded section ive got a little bit of glass laminate failure there where the sections of glass are prying apart.

since having door damaged i get slight leak when using wipers its coming in threw top door seal check yours for wear could be them

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

driver , footwell , water