General brakes question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Ralf S.
General brakes question

The missus' old Uno has a brake pedal that is inconsistent. Sometimes it feels firm and other times it is a bit spongey. Otherwise it works okay.

I suspect that the servo is knacked but my question is:

1) Is it safe to drive like that or might the brakes just fail horribly one day, if I left it?

2) Is there a repair kit, or will I need a whole new doodah? What bit(s) do I need and what's it called?

3) Is it a DIY job? There's an abandoned Uno down the road and if I knew what bit I needed.... they're bound to remove it soon.

Ralf S.
Sponsored Links
Ian Spring
Inconsistent pedal feel is usually caused by a failing master cylinder rather than by a duff servo. Master cylinders can be rebuilt easily and cheaply with new seals BUT only if the bore isn't damaged/scored.

I wouldn't recommend driving the car if the brakes are known to be suspect - what if they fail/lose pressure in an emergency stop situation?

Why rebuild most brake failures are caused by dirty brakes , remove the wheels , remove the claw, open the brake container (carreful) , get some brake cleaner and clean the SOB.
While you're at it remove the pads( buy new ones) , change the brake oil by opening the (small)valves on the brakes in a sealed container with a tube , poor new brake oil in and push, best is to be with two one pushing the other 'pooring' (don't know the coorect English for that one) .
Remove spilled brake fluid with water , be carreful not to spil water in the brake-pot.
Brake-oil is very agressive on paint and attracts water (hygroscopic fluid)
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I also have an Uno which had the same problem. Changed the brake hoses and fluid, fitted new rear shoes (front pads OK) and now works fine. Passed its MOT with no bother as well.

I had an Uno 45 once. It didn't have servo assisted brakes !!!

Ralf S.
Cheers dudes. I'll give it some new brake fluid and a brake service to see if that sorts it, unless it really insists on a new master cylinder.

Ralf S.
ok then the two most common uno faults are,
rear shoe adjusters,
front pads seizing,

also brake master cylinders on the odd occasion,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brakes , general , question