Erm... there's no easy way to say this.... but while out shopping yesterday for an Alfa Romeo 164 Qudrifolgio Verde I somehow managed for various complicated reasons to buy myself a 1994 8 valve 1.8 litre TwinSpark 155.
The car has the following issues:-
1) clonking noise from the front of the car when going over bumps- bushes/ball joints or lower arms?
2) speedometer doesn't rise above 40km/h no matter how fast you go;
3) parking brake warning light doesn't go off when the parking brake is released;
4) engine hesitates before accelerating when the loud pedal is floored (could it be the engine was cold?);
5) there's a whole mess of wires hanging out from under the right side of the dashboard (I'm in Malaysia- our cars are right hand drive) which appear to not be connected to anything. What bit of the wire loom runs there?
Anyone with ideas about what lies beneath these symptoms, how fixable they are and how expensive they're likely to be?
Also, the odometer reading says the car has done almost 160,000 kilometres. How much more life can I expect out of the engine (no white smoke, no blue smoke, no black smoke- heck no smoke at all even on a stone cold engine so far) and when will the timing chain have to be replaced?
What else should I look for?
Cheers lads. All help most welcome.