Rear wheel bearing whines! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rear wheel bearing whines!

As a member of the 'if it starts to go wrong, get scared and run away to a mechanic till its all better again' school of thought, what is the situation with rear wheel bearings, my 95 V6 whines like a small and annoying baby with a pooey nappy!

So lets break it down.

How much are the bearings?

Could I fit them myself? (Am okay on basic service as in oil, fuel air filters, and easy brake pads and discs, not much more capable than that!)

Would I be better off going to a Kwik fit type place and asking them to do it. If so, a good price for the whole job would be what?

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

im pretty sure jimmybob could sort you out
Jimybob, how you booked over Christmas? Do you fancy quoting me up some prices to take Bedlam in and love her, and hug her and call her George?!(sorry, been watching Sylvester and the boxing Kangaroo on Cartoon Network!)
1. New rear wheel bearings,
2. Lambda sensor sorted/checked
3. Minor going over, I fancy some Magnatec 10/40 and some Bosch super 4 plugs, plus some other little treats for the old girl!

Fancy it?
the bearings are 35+vat without abs and 90+vat with abs....they only take 15mins to fit on the rear...autospark will test the lambda sensor for you and im sure i can do a good deal on a new one if needed....i should be able to do it no probs at the end of next week(thurs/fri).
Tim Hayes
For reasons which escape me currently, I have a complete (front and rear) brand new set of wheel bearings for a ABS 155. They are SKF, and boxed.

Does anyone want to buy them?....I'd better put them on the For Sale board.
The rear wheel bearings are really expensive on these cars !!!! They cost me 12 for my VW G40.

I see there is two for ABS and one without. I thought all the 155's had ABS, or is it ABS on the back wheels 'cos maybe most only have ABS on the front, or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, or maybe I'm panicking 'cos I think mine need replaced and my tax is up end of Jan and bits are falling off my car

Can someone explain what the difference is pretty please

And what is needed for a 1994 1.8litre 8valve car

Hello there, I just got my rear wheel bearings replaced. The cost difference is large. I had to have ABS ones on my V6. The bearing assembly also included the hub. You can see on your existing ones if they're the ABS ones. The inboard end of the assemly has a toothed ring on it. This toothed ring can be seen if you take a wheel off. The ABS sensor takes the pulse from the teeth to detect lock up.

I paid just under 70 each for my Quinton Hazel pattern replacements. Cost 60 to fit so 200 all in.

Halford quoted 210 to do the job but I don't have a lot of respect for them!

So just have a look at the old ones. Teeth=ABS

No teeth=cheap street

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

bearing , rear , wheel , whines