Brake stuck on - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tim Hayes
Brake stuck on

Hello everyone

My 16v recently developed a 'sticking' front off side brake. Initially it was staying on slightly after braking but then releasing again. However this developed into enough of a 'stick' to actually stop the car when free wheeling.

None of the other calipers are affected, just the OS front. I did the following to try and find the fault

1. Pulled out the ABS fuse to eliminate this from the equation, brake still stuck on.

2. Thought the caliper must be part siezed or have a score on the cylinder, tried to push it back with brute force and it wouldn't. HOWEVER, I opened the bleed nipple just in case and the piston went back with no effort, so nothing wrong with the caliper.

3. At this point could only think of either crap in the pipes/system or a faulty valve somewhere. We bled some fluid through this one caliper, and it did seem to aleviate the the problem, however the brake does still stick on, just not as much. Sometimes it release almost immediatley, other times it stays on for a couple of miles.

Bleeding the fluid may be a red herring, but before I go deeper and start taking things to bits, any advice would be welocme.

Sponsored Links
Tim, I had this on my rear calipers. This is how I fixed them:

1. Pumped the piston almost right out (carefull !!!)

2. Used my wifes super fine nail emery board to "polish" the piston. Very fine wet 'n' dry paper would do the same.

3. Greased the piston with white brake grease (99p from a motor factor for enough to do all 4 brakes).

4. Pushed the piston back in (with the bleed valve open).

5. Pushed the piston in and out a couple more times to get it all greased and check it masn't sticking.

Did this last Feb. and the pistons are still free

Hope this helps

sounds like there is a piece of rubber stuck in the flexi pipe or the pipe has collapsed inside if the piston moved ok when you opened the bleed screw then its more than likely that this is the problem.
Had the same problem in the summer. Replace your brake hose, 10 from a motor factor. Local garages reckoned it was ABS playing up or a sticking caliper, all of which cost mega money. If you are replacing other brake lines might be worth getting Goodridge braided hoses for 40 a car set. Havn't used them myself although people reckon they are a good investment?.
Sounds like a good idea but watch out for some of the braided hose kits, they don't have enough hoses for the 155's!

Tim Hayes
Thanks everyone.

The hoses were the next thing we were going to try, I have still got some on the car I'm breaking up, I'll change it to see if it helps until I get some braded ones.

I've also noticed now that if I coast and let the 'stuck' brake stop the car, then press the brake pedal really hard while stopped, the brake then lets go immediately.

Also, I made sure it wasn't stuck on this morning before getting on the motorway (the car coasted without stoppping so I'm sure it was free) and about 2 miles on it started rubbing quite badly, it was like the brake came on without touching the pedal....(I feel an idiot writing this, but it did happen, maybe it was touching slightly, and heat build up expanded the disc enough to rub badly).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

just replaced my nearside flexi hose for same problem now ok . mine used to come on when braking , just jack corner up apply pressure to brake if it locks just crack the flexi pipe if it spins then thats it. mine did this after a recent clutch replacement as caliper was removed must have damaged pipe doin it little peices of rubber act like valve in pipe and vacuum is not enough to pull back ,word of warning do it soon as i put mine off for a bit only to hear a new noise of slight knocking i thought it was warped disk with heat but turned out to be wheel nuts came loose with all the heat causing eveything to contract an stuff.
but no worries just watch the nut from top of flexi pipe mine was quite seized had to use molegrips!!!. eek!

Tim Hayes
Thanks to everyone who replied to this, fitted Goodridge braided hoses and its fixed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brake , stuck