Panel Filters... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 30-09-02 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

Panel Filters...

In my day, a replacement filter meant a K&N. No questions, that's all there was. These days, there's a bit more choice, so where do you start?! I'd like to swap the standard filter for a performance panel (too much faffing with cones so it seems from reading on here!), so I'd like to know peoples experiences with different brands.
Sponsored Links
I just dropped an OMP one into my V6 a couple of weeks ago (part no S6/5249P). It was my first experience with one and I was a bit disappointed at first. Its washable cotton.
However, now two weeks later my machine is throbbing! Bwwooooaaarr. Just like fitting a big bore exhaust, except perhaps meatier (although I can't wait to do that too!). The change in the sound is incredible. Apparently the ECU takes its time to notice and start to use the extra flow.
As for performance, well I have to admit I don't really notice much difference.
I took off my K&N 57i kit, put the airbox back on and dropped in a BMC filter from Alfaowner. Helps a bit at the top end as the car doesn't struggle to reach redline in higher gears. The induction noise is increased too, but not too noisy like induction kits.

Apparently BMC filters are used by Ferrari F1 and Porsche Cup Cars. Must be good

AO Member
Think I am going to go the same road as Marlon and get rid of the 57i kit, piece of crap. Only clean it today, and the butterfly in dirtier than it even was, complete waste of time. The injectors are probably flithly.

Got a K&N panel filter in mine. No complaints. It filters very well even in our dusty conditions here in South Africa.
Noticed a better mid range plus probably top end power increase. Sounded a bit more throatier, a bit like the old Alfas.

K&N and BMC are probably your best bets.

Got to agree ..forget an induction kit.
Stick to a decent panel filter, keep it clean, and try Shell Optimax in an empty tank.
Works wonders !!!
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I think the problem with 57i and other induction kits is that they intake hot air from the engine compartment which will reduce efficiency (cold air = better charge). You can rig up cold air ducting of course as the racing fraternity do. I use a K&N panel filter and rerouted the intake to a higher position to keep water and muck out of the system but retain cold air. Theoretically this should release 4-5bhp and a bit of torque. I think for best results a chip and a freer flowing exhaust, not just a tailbox, will give a bit more and should be noticeably better certainly in the mid range.

It was once said that the meek shall inherit the Earth, I have since discovered that the meek don't want it.
optimax?! nooooo..

I stuck a tank of that in the Q4 & ended up diluting it with normal unleaded.. I don't know what it was but it _Really_ didn't like optimax.

just a heads up.

I heard optimax is just normal unleaded with octane boosters in it. It is supposed to be 98.5 ron, but the alfa runs smoother and with more vigour on super which is only 97 ron.
Point to note that adding to much octane booster can actually reduce the octane rating.
Richard S
A mate of mine works in petrochemicals and says all SUL is normal UL with octane boosters

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

filters , panel