Monkey-boy Octopus mechanic required - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Ralf S.
Monkey-boy Octopus mechanic required

My boot-lock cover/badge went AWOL last week so I ordered a new one but how the hell do you fit it?

I have 2 springs (one internal and one external), a little plastic cap that keeps the internal spring under tension and a circlip that goes on the end of the badge's pivot, to hold everything in place.

But how does anyone fit these things? If I had 8" long fingers with suckers on the end of them I might be able to do it, but I can just about touch the back of the badge, let alone put the spring/cover/circlip on.

I reckon the whole bit the badge pivots in has to come out first but it seems to be held on with two shear-bolts. What's the story, Jackanory?

Ralf S.
Sponsored Links
I tried to replace mine, the old one had been snapped off in the pivot hole.
After getting the old bit out by going behind the badge, and losing the tiny circlip thing and the equally tiny spring in the boot skin i tried to replace them with the new bits. It's a complete nightmare if you ask me. Ages i spent with a magnetized extendable screwdriver thingy. Anyway, i gave up and ended up just using the badge bit and 'securing it' by wrapping the bit that goes in the hole in fabric tape, holds it in place quite tightly. At least if anyone tries to nick it, it'll come out relatively easily anyway, and it still pivots, sort of. I'd be very interested to hear of any solutions too! Best bet, get hold of that guy from the X-files. Or the Monkey-boy-octopus-mechanic! LOL, nice one.
You need to take the black plastic thats left off the bootlid. I drilled 2 small holes 1mm (I think) into the smooth head of each shear bolt as they are very soft, put one leg of a circlip pliers into each hole and rotated the bolts out. Put on the new Alfa shield and reused the old bolts to secure the lot again on the bootlid this time using the circlip pliers to tighten the bolts. i dint know how your supposed to get the old bolts out even if you choose to use new ones.
AO Member
If my rear badge goe's missing I will be buying the whole thing, as it's only about 5 differance between the badge and the whole thing. It just doe's not seem worth all the messing about.
Ralf S.
Cheers dudes... I'll get my drill out this weekend and butcher the b*****d!

Ralf S.

<small>[ 14.12.2003, 23:14: Message edited by: wrinx ]</small>

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

mechanic , monkeyboy , octopus , required