Lowering Springs. Good or Bad Idea ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Nick Mid
Lowering Springs. Good or Bad Idea ??

im sure you've covered this one many times but im new to the list so will have missed it.
i just spent a fair bit of cash on my V6 (wheels, exhaust etc.) but now the icing on the cake would be to close that gap in the arches and slam it.
I dont wanna go the whole hog with new shocks etc. cos of the cost and am asking you people if you think just replacing with lowered springs is ok or not. im going for looks more than handling but at the same time i dont want to introduce more problems.
if you have any help with the above and know of any recommendations where to purchase id appreciate it.

also does anyone know whats involved in doing this yourself ??

trying to get a good idea before i go ahead.
Sponsored Links
I bought my 93 V6 with Eibach springs fitted.

A little hard, but looks good and the cornering is superb.

There you go, so now all you have to do is buy some springs.

Good luck
Hi Nick

The Eibachs are great, nice and compliant (better ride than the origonals) but grip well when pushing along. They ahve also got rid of the V6 "nose heavy" attitude.

Fairly easy to fit but you need an impact wrench to remove the top strut nuts.

For a true handling package you're supposed to change the shoocks too but I've just done the springs and its fine.

A mate has a highly modified Alfasud that handles like a go-kart. He was following me yesterday and was impressed at how my V6 handled.

Nick Mid
have you had any experience with apex suspension ??
they do a set of springs for the V6 at 107. (lowers 40mm)

is there anything else required other than springs (such as new bump stops etc. etc.)

thanks for your help
AO Member
Just wondering, as I'm thinking about changing the springs on my 1997 2 litre, are all the springs the same and where can I get a good deal on them.
AO Member
Jamex do springs too. They make the 155 sit lower than the Eibach, but the ride is nowhere near as good as the Eibachs for everyday use. I've had both on different 2.0 155's
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

I've got Vogtland springs on mine wich lowered the car approx 40 mm, I paid 250 fitting included, the handling is so much better when it is lowered and if your original shocks are still good the car is perfect in cornering.

As for Daiblack, the springs are not all the same as the rear springs are smaller.
Nick, I'm running PI -40mm springs on my 97 1.8 16v. I got them from Carnoisseur in Bedford for $95ish and they were fitted for about $50 at a local tyre/exhaust emporium. My 205 45 16 toyos rub slightly up front on and around full lock but hey, its worth it! I do feel slightly more nervous at very high speeds where the softer oe springs were more forgiving of our crap road surfaces but at more realistic speeds the car feels good and stiff.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

bad , good , idea , lowering , springs