Air box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Air box

I have seen many inventions on this forum about airboxes and filters, Andreas even sent pictures. I have an idea.
As we all know hot air is bad since its not as dence as cold air. I was thinking to install a ´racing cone filter¨ there are some small ones that fit, if one taked out the air filter box. I talked to a guy today at a mechanic, and he suggested that i have a fiberglass pad built, to fit where the present air box conects to the metal box, and then conect a angled plastic tube to the metal box. The tube is then conect to the Cone. I took his idea a bit further and thought maybe if one could design, instead of just a square peace of fiberglas, an entire section of it, that seperates the cone from the eginine warm air, and goes down and under the Cone, so that it protects it from water and dirt and then it comes up on the other side of the Cone, between the chassis and the Cone. this way the filter is protected by the fiberglass from heat and water/dirt, and it can breath a lot easier than in the plastic box.
Is this feasable?? or am i dreaming

Sponsored Links
Hi Nicholas

If I understand correctly you are talking about a fibre glass shield for the cone filter in place of the panel filter? There has been discussion about using stainless steel for a similiar purpose.

To be honest I don't understand cone filters, surely an induction kit is better as it will pull cold air from further away (and give that sound!).

Think it was Makaveli (do you still read these posts Mak?) who posted saying he had fitted cone filters (to his 164) and wasn't impressed. Increased fuel consumption ad not much extra power.

I'm sure there are others on here with more knowledge than me about this subject!!

Induction kit would be greate, only one small problem, no one seams to make one that fit my car. 8v 2.0 TS from 1993.

Suposedly, one has to get a really expensive race cone $150. There are so many ****ty, cones out there, so one has to be careful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

air , box

« 20 V Turbo | OBX »