Airbox modification - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-06-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Airbox modification

Well, some modifications are so easy to perform so just have to do it. Like this f.x.

Two 3" bass reflex ports a 4.50 Euro each, one too big tube of glue a 6 Euro and an hour of work while letting the cleaned air filter dry. That's it.

It's of course hard to say how much the flow resistance will decrease, but principally this shape has a flow resistance that is in the order of 10 less than for the standard inlet. If you read the article about airfilter on you will find this kind of simple operations to be very effective. I think sells induction kits to be operated into the standard airboxes if you won't go for the bass ports.

And if have a Q4 you will hear the boost drive valve VERY clearly with this air intake placed in the left front wing, especially if you use a foam filter.

Try it

Sponsored Links
Juan alzaga
Hi Andreas,

I'm using a K&N cone filter in my Q4 since some time ago. I taken out the original airbox and built a 'tailor made' support with a 3" stainless steel tube.

TAS piston Dump valve sounds loud when releasing gas, and I remember having noted, after installing the cone, that high end performance has been clearly increased. Not much in low gears. But, Rally-like sound its the bonus track, and becomes a vicious.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 26-06-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Juan,

I am pretty sure a cone filter is better than my solution in terms of flow resistance. But that arrangement has two major drawbacks that one has to handle with care:

1. Less protection against small dust particles

2. In many cases the open air filter sucks air from the entire engine bay and the hot air it gets results in lower mass flow air despite less flow resistance. One point with the airbox is that it has a defined inlet (or two ..) that is located in a low temperature zone.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

airbox , modification