Join Date: Jun 2001
Here it is:
as T3 owners we don't have one single very good alternative for an upgrade as I see it. Rather many compromises. Considering the official figures of maximum 1.5 bar, 300 hp turbine and 235 hp compressor capacity I would list the alternatives in order of job/money like this:
1: "Flow prep" of standard compressor, like porting a cylinder head but with the compressor inlet. Increases maximum power with 10-15% (~260 hp). Cost 350 Euro.
2. Replace the compressor house for a Trim 60 house. Max power 300 hp, i.e. turbine and compressor has the same limit. Cost 400-450 Euro.
3. Larger T3, like the TB0385 from the Delta I 16V or Evo1. Capacity is around 400 hp, but with standard bearing max boost is 1.5 bar. Cost from nothing to 1500 Euro for a new one and upwards for better bearings. You can also use the 338 from the 8v Integrale, you might get one for free.
4. A Mitsubishi TD05-18T (or 16T or 17T) boosts about 1.5 bar perhaps 1.7. Power limit 300 hp. Same flange as T3, but round hole, so you need an adapter plate on the flange. I guess you need to re-arange the 90 degree bend from turbo to exhaust system and fix the compressor outlet too. Cost for turbo 700 Euro, but perhaps cheaper.
5. IHI- Tell me more! I don't know more than that they are fitted in the 155 Diesels.
6. T25, TD04HL-15T (Saab) and Garrett T28 (like T2810 from Coupe 20V T) do all need a smaller exhaust manifold flange, i.e. a new manifold. T25 has the same capacity as the TB0367 = no idea. TD04HL-15T is very nice and has sufficient capacity, like I said before. The T28 is much much more expensive but has capcity up to 350 hp and with ball bearing 2.2 bar boost. Cost 1500-1700 Euro.
Ok, thats it. Mitsus' are cheap as they are original spare part to Saab and Volvo. Garrett are afordable if you use the exchange system so that you leave your own turbo (or part of it) to Garrett and get a new (bigger) one. If you buy a Supersprint manifold I do think you can order it with any flange you want. Nice but expensive.