gear lever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
gear lever

I've always thought the 155 has a rather long gear change. This could be sorted by shortening the lever.

Has anyone done this, cant find anything with a search.

Is it possible to keep the origonal gear knob and how much to cut off?? My only concern is that the change may be a little harder/notchier due to the reduced lever effect.

Any experiences?

wrinx [img]cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Ive heared of people doing this kind of thing to Minis before, but not Alfas,

Just been in my Alfa , after reading your post, I suppose the throw is a little long, but not so bad.
I imagine you could fit a GTV lever which would be shorter cos the seats lower in the GTV, however this would likely be very expensive. I think the lever is a solid bar with a thread on the end into which the nob fits, If you can get a tap and die set you can cut the lever and re-thread.
However, as I said just been in the car and it occurs to me that the gear lever is its length to be the optimum distance from the wheel. A shorter lever would be more annoying as it would be too far from the wheel making your driving experience worse.
Before attemping this I'd remove the nob which exends the shaft by about 4cm and improvise a temorary nob on the shaft which is lower with shaft right to top of nob then drive about a little to see how you like it.
I think you will find the increased gears to wheel distance more of an anoyance and decide to leave things as they are.
Hi Graham

thanks for your comments.

In my previous cars the gear change has been a "flick of the wrist" so thats why I find the 155 change "long" (even after 5 years of ownership). I've changed gear by holding the lever lower down and its not too bad.

Some of the spider owners in have done this to put an after market gearknob on but not 155's. Think they just have to pull it off, however a thread wouldnt be a problem (used to be an engineer/metalworker).

Just hoping someone else had done it before I start experimenting!?!?

wrinx [img]smile.gif[/img]
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

I just took a saw and cut it off by 4cm, it is great driving, can't use the original shift knob anymore so I've put a MOMO in
AO Member
Posts: 715 do a quickshift conversion for a 155 / Coupe, but it is 135 + fitting and they need your old linkage!!! Surely this means you can do it yourself. Perhaps trawl a Fiat Coupe website and ask for info!
Hi there, I would have thought the best idea would be to find a quickshift kit somewhere. One thing I'm having trouble with is the gear knob itself. I can simply pull mine straight off and instead of a threaded gear stick, my gearstick has a vane that the knob slots onto. How can I replace this with a Momo or similar aftermarket knob which use screw down threads???
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

I had the same problem with mine which has the tapered vane shaft. It just kept coming off!

I managed to obtain a polished aluminium ball with alfa badge from the alfa romeo owners club (uk) based in Tunbridge Wells.

The ball just pushes on to the existing shaft and is held on by a recessed bolt which is tightened by an allen key which is supplied.

You will need to measure the diameter of the top of the shaft as different sizes are available.

I seem to remember that it cost about 20 and looks far better than the original.

Paul Smart
you're all doing it wrong!!!

get a golf balkl and drill a hole in it... then use a huge self tapping screw and screww through the ball into the stick!!

done and a lot cheaper...

BTW i want to work on blue peter [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi there,
B&M do a lot of short throw kits. I have had a look round their website and while I can’t find any Alfas on there, I am positive they have made a kit for the 156. I would suggest enquiring with Demon Tweeks to see if there is one for the 155. Let us know how you get on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

gear , lever