Intermittent Engine Cooling Fan - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Intermittent Engine Cooling Fan

155 V6. Is this correct?

Drove to work the other day (hot & sunny) but it is only a short journey so car doesn't warm up properly.

When i came out to go home as i drove off the cooling fan started working even though the engine hadn't warmed up.

Am i being paranoid or was this just a strange one off as it hasn't done it anymore?

Hope someone can put my mind at rest. Saw the thread on thermostats and wondered if this had anything to do with it.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

I have no idea if this is the same thing but my car seems to run the fan for a short while just after startup, almost like a test if you like.

It may be that the sensor/resistor that senses the temperature had managed to get hot whilst you car was parked up and so switched the fan on for a short while. As soon as you moved off it rapidly cooled and stopped the fan again. remembedr that the fan does not directly sense the water temperature so a short drive and a park-up could be enough to heat the sensor.
Cheers Chris.

I'll see if it does it again.

Mark T
Hi Curvature,
My V6's fan runs alot, especially when its been parked up after a run, and you return to it within a couple of hours. It also cuts in before the engine has reached operating temp if its a hot day, like today. I think is just an over cautious sensor, to prevent overheating which mine has never done, even in stop, start traffic on a hot day - gauge goes just past 90 deg, fan cuts in and down it comes back to 90 and so on.
The v6 is a relatively big lump, in a small space, so I think the fan is set up to compensate for the the lack of natural engine venting while stationary.

Hope this helps,

Mike Scarf
Have you got air con. If so, and you have it on, it will bring the fan in if needed before the engine gets up to temp.
Thanks for all of your help.

You've put my mind at rest now. wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cooling , engine , fan , intermittent