EGR - what's that all about - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
EGR - what's that all about

EGR (exhaust gas recirc) what's all that about then? I guess it's some sort of emissions control, but any of you more spanner handy guys fancy explaining how it's supposed to work?

Sponsored Links
The EGR device takes a certain part of the exhaust gases ot out the exhaust manifold, back into the inlet manifold. I suspect this happens only under certain conditions, as there is an EGR valve. Perhaps during cold starts, to warm up engine quicker? I see that the later 155 2L 16v don't have this device anymore, so it probably wasn't really worth it. Plus there was the downside of extra complication and reliability. My EGR valve failed a few weeks ago. (Cost about the same as a variator to replace.)
el gringo
If I remember correctly, EGR reduces emission of nitrous oxides (NOx). By adding a little exhaust gas to the air/fuel mixture, the flame speed is reduced. On ignition, the flame front advances from the spark outwards. Diluting the mixture slows the flame front down, which in turn reduces peak temperatures. As NOx are formed at very high temperatures only, reducing the flame temperature reduces the formation of NOx, making our cars a little more furry animal-friendly. Apparently, it doesn't affect performance (much).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

« Flaps | alarm »