Tyres - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tim Hayes
This is one of those that could go on forever as its always based on experience...

Lowering the pressures on my 75 improved handling by far more than you'd think a couple of pounds could do. It was far better than at the factory value.

Also, sporty driving may actually require a lower initial pressure from cold as you are going to generate more heat, hence ultimatley a higher pressure, in the tyres from your 'enthusiasm' and high speed antics. An overheating tyre will lose masses of grip. All tyres have an optimum operating temperature, and two main factors (other than driving style )are pressure and compound. Therefore to find perfection, I might need a different 'cold' pressure in my Pirellis than Ian would need in whatever he has got on his rims, and different again to your's Wrinx as, as you have said, you have different springs so that's another factor that will determine how quickly and by how much your tyres heat up.

Biggest problem with the higher pressures is that our roads are rubbish, and the car will skit around. Unfortunatley, as I have found with my Sud racer, you have to experiment and find what suites you, and your car (and the crap roads you have to drive on).

The Sud runs on semi race tyres (treaded, not slick) and pressure can increase by up to 8lbs depending on track temperature. On a warm day, take your road car for a thrash and see how much the tyre pressure increases by....
Sponsored Links

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155