Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing out - any ideas? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing out - any ideas?

Hello guys,

A serious problem I had last year is just resurfaced - now I'm pretty sure that one of the components for my troubles is heat.

The symptom is that the fuse of my fuel pump blows out when I try to get the car moving from a standing position. If I do it as I usually do (rpm up to cca. 1300-1500, cluth up but not wery wildly) the fuse blows in that instant. It is reproducible.

Now if I get it moving like I was carrying eggs (clutch up VERY carefully), then there is no problem.

If I rev up the engine when standing, no problem.

It is not likely to be a failure in the pump itself since that was already changed last year (altough for a used one) and the problem did not went away. It is not likely to be a wiring problem, since that was checked too, and it does not occur while driving on a bad quality road.

Does anyone have the slightest idea why can something like this happen??? Can it be that the fuel line is partially clogged?

Please someone help!!!
Sponsored Links
Just a hunch but did you check the fuel filter?

When I changed my fuelpump a month ago they changed the filter because if it's clogged the pump has to make to much of an effort.

If you want a new fuelpump I got one to spare still in his original packaging.

AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Yes, it sounds like a problem with a blockage or a knackered pump. When you rev on the spot and also pull away slowly the pump has little work to do to keep the pressure up. When you shoot off the line the fuel usage is much higher and also the fuel tries to push back against the pump, so making it work even harder. It may be that your filter is bunged up or it may be that the pump is getting a little old and stiff.

What an excellant offer for a new pump from Designo. To be really sure, change the pump and the filter although you could experiment with changing the filter first - it will only cost you a fuse if its wrong...
AO Member

Member car:

155 TS 2.0 16 V.

I was Away From Keyboard for a few days, but I'll have the fuel line checked out as soon as possible. I'll keep you guys informed about the progress. Thanks for the replies!

I'll try to find the answer for Jorge's question too.
It seems like it was an electrical problem after all, altough it was never found out where exactly. Since the problem kept going away/coming back irregularly, at last I got tired and told the guys at the service to re-wire the whole fuel pump. It happened two weeks ago, and the problem have not surfaced since that. I keep my fingers crossed. wink You will know if it happens again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

blowing , fuel , fuse , ideas , pump