Major engine problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tim Hayes
Major engine problem

Oh dear.....

After accelerating hard up to 7K rpm, followed by hard braking, my 2.0 16v engine developed an extreme 'knocking' noise. Initially the knock was audible only above 2000rpm, after attempting to start the engine later, it locked up and would not turn over.

I initally suspected a stuck or bent valve (both) and removed the cylinder head.

However, on removing the head (which seems visibly undamaged), I noticed that piston no.3 is travelling 2mm higher than the other pistons, and must have been hitting the head. With the head removed, t eek! he engine turns over easily and smoothly and there is no bore damage.

Before I take the sump off and investigate further, has anyone got any ideas? If it is terminal (crank/con rod), then I don't want to spend any more time/effort stripping it down. The engine has done 90K miles

Also, if anyone out there hasn't followed the often written advice and changed their cambelt before the 72K mile service, then get it done. Mine failed 4 days after buying the car at 62K

Sponsored Links
Ralf S.
I'd hope it was the little end bearings but that's still going to be an engine-out job.

Bad luck dude.

Ralf S.
Could be loose con-rod bolts? Don't think the rods themselves could be the cause, these wouln't have trouble with 7000 rpm.

Good luck!
i have never heard of such a problem could well be a big or little end bearing.does the engine turn over ok now the head is off.???all you can do is strip it down and have a look...nothing else to do on a bank holiday anyway.!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

engine , major , problem