Replacement brake pads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Simon Atkinson
Replacement brake pads

Well its that time pads all round.

Anyone got any preferences for fast(ish, I live in London!) road pads? I tried Tarox once but they moved around inside the caliper. Any experiences of Red Dot, EBC, Pagid etc?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Tried EBC once and my car failed the MOT with below 20% braking efficiency. Replaced with Alfa pads and efficiency went up over 80%. This was rear pads only (the expensive ones you see).

That experience put me off EBC pads for life, however the ENBC plain disks were OK (can`t get flat steel wrong I suppose).

Its your choice but if you want to carry on with EBC I have some pads in the garage you can have - I certainly don`t want them!
I used EBC green stuff (fast road) pads on my twinspark. They need warming up and are a bit scary until then, limited bite, you dont think you're gonna stop. Once warm they are great. The worst thing was the brake dust, its a nightmare to remove, worse than others I've had.

I hear that EBC normal pads are better.

Now used to driving the V6 which has excellent brakes, dont know what the pads are, got back in the twinspark today and its scary poo time again!! No matter how much you press the pedal it goes further down but you dont slow down quick enough .

Got some Mintex pads in a box waiting to be fitted, anyone tried these?
Mike Scarf
Your old T/Spark is a 1.8. Maybe its the size of the front discs as most people who complain about the brakes drive 1.8's or 2.0 8v. Only V6's & 2.0 16v have the larger (284mm) discs according to my details. Also the brake pad area is 50cm3 against only 35.8 for the 1.8's and 2.0 8v's.

Hi Mike

Where do you get all this stuff from??? wink

I always thought the brakes were pretty good on th TS until I fitted the EBC pads. After the V6 I wonder how it ever stopped

As I have to replace discs and pads on my 1.7 TS 1996 I wonder if I can fit the larger discs of a 2.0 to increase stopping power? Do I have to change callipers to?

i don't know if it's possible.. i don't see why not.

you would have to change the caliper mounting bracket as think that would make the caliper sit slightly further out to accomodate the bigger disk. The brake pads are also a different size for the bigger disks. I don't know if you could get away with using the smaller pads, but what's the point of putting bigger discs on of you're gonna be using the same size pads = same brake pad contact area, surely no difference. I don't think the bigger pads fit in the caliper or not, probably new calipers needed.

If you're going for new calipers and disks, why not...

Put on spider 3.0 disks and calipers, bloody huge 4 pot calipers, aparently they do fit if you get the right caliper mount bracket for it.

hope some of this help... known me... probably not

Tried EBC green pads , absolute crap , frightening on the motorway, took um off after 5k miles. never again. have got OMP front pads on now , better than the EBC , still not as much bite as standard pads. From now on i willonly fit standard pads, much safer , better feel , no bloody nonsense.
To fit the larger brake discs from the 20 16 V you need the calipers and driveshafts, not sure how much more, thay are the same size as the intergrale i believe
AO Member
I got a set of Fiat 20V turbo Brembo calipers and looked at putting them on my 155. They run 315mm discs. Conversion kit would cost about 700 so I'm told to get the spacers to pull them out so the 315mm discs fit. Then the discs on top! Didn't think it was worth it, so I returned the calipers to my mate. If anyone else wants them, let me know. They'll be about 250 for the pair

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brake , pads , replacement