bleeding brakes and swapping plugs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-01-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
bleeding brakes and swapping plugs

Anyone have a recommended order for bleeding the brakes?

Also , how do you get a spark plug spanner past the rubber gromits to change the plugs (or I am not trying hard enough?)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

I did read (somewhere on this forum) that the ABS causes problems for brake bleeding. I know I had trouble with mine after removing the rear caliper - ended up having it done at a dealer.

As for the plugs - what engine is it? I dont remember rubber grommits on mine...
I bled the brakes on mine a few months back. I can't remember the order, but it was something like start with the wheel greatest distance from the brake pedal and work in (or maybe it was the order way around). Anyway I read a few articles on the internet and figured it out from there.

I did read differing opinions on the ABS issue. I just bled the brakes like normal brakes and no problem. I think one of the issues with ABS is that brake fluid remains in the ABS reservoir, which you can only flush out by activating the ABS system. I read somewhere that you can use the brakes on a slippy surface hence activating the ABS, this flushing the ABS reservoir, so you can then bleed again, getting more of the old fluid out.

I wouldn't be a expert on this by a long shot, but I did manage to get the job done and the brakes have been fine since.

Rich, what kind of problems did you have with the ABS ?

Mike Scarf
From the workshop manual the order is
Front left
Front right
Rear left
Rear right
I used a pressure bleeder (Gunsons easi-bleed) and had no problems

The manual also states if you get air in a piston you have to bleed in the following order with rapid pumps of the pedal and then revert back to the order above with slow pumps of the pedal with final tightening of the bleed screws with the pedal held down to the floor
Rear right
Front left
Rear left
Front right
sounds like u got a v6 the rubber gromets around the plug hole swell up making it hard to get plug socket in, 3 solutions,1 cut round the inside of the hole with a knife(not ideal)2 find a thiner socket 3 replace the rocker cover gasket and seals.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

bleeding , brakes , plugs , swapping