Something wrong or not ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Christian U
Something wrong or not ?

Hello guys

I have a question for any of you with electronic climate control (and A/C):

I have noticed that i can't engage the A/C-compressor (not that i need it right now, but when it's there, it must work!) is it because it is too cold outside ?... or is there something wrong with my system ? - i can't remember if i could operate the compressor last winter.

Is there anybody who, on their own car, will test the compressor function by pressing the "ECON" button (maybe whem temp.setting is "LO"), then you should hear a loud click from the eletric clutch, out by the engine.

Any answer on this subject would be appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Christian U
Sponsored Links
Hi Christian
I had the same problem when I took over the car in April 2000 (the previous owner after every winter, as well). It's the earth connection that's at fault.
My auto electrician asked, "Do you want me to spend hours finding the connection or shall I make a new one inside the cabin next to the relays? I got the new one in less than a hour and it's been OK since (even now, turning on the A/C demist the inside of the windows in very few minutes).
Good luck having this done
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.5 Q-system

How cold is Denmark now? If I am not mistaken, the temperature setting must be less than 2 degrees from the outside temperature for the air-cond to switch on. What you could do is warm up the temperature sensor (the nipple below the right side wing mirror) with your bare hands. Temperature must be set to 'LO'. When the outside temperature reaches more than 20 degrees, the air cond should turn on. Let us know if it works!

Hi Kenneth
It pretty cold right now here in DK, between 0 and –20 degrees. But with the ignition on you should still be hearing a click from the compressor. The reason that I turn on the A/C now (well, only then misting up inside) is that though the A/C doesn’t cool the air it’s de-humid the incoming air.
Alfisti regards
Christian U
Thanks Erik & Kenneth

Erik, that ground connection was that in the relay box in engine-bay (by the right front lamp) or was it in the fuse/relay socket under the dashboard? - Can you engage the compressor without starting the engine?

Kenneth, I did try the test as you suggested, that dident work...damn!

By the way, does anybody have electrical diagrams for the ECC & A/C system on .pdf ?...if so, can I get a copy by mail? I think that would help a lot.

Anybody else with experience on this matter, please let me know.

Christian U

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155